Senior Manager, Tax & Treasury
12 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross , Susan G. Komen , American Cancer Society , and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators , San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work , Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance , Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies , a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50 , one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups , and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
Reporting into the CAO, the Senior Manager, Tax & Treasury will play a key role in leading and scaling the tax and treasury infrastructure and processes at Skillz. The ideal candidate is a motivated leader with strong experience in operational accounting and ability to thrive in a high-growth environment. This role will be hands-on, interacting and collaborating with Accounting, FP&A and Legal teams to ensure the accurate and timely execution of tax and treasury functions. The Senior Manager, Tax & Treasury has a proven track record as an effective people leader, can anticipate and surface issues, solve problems and recommend solutions, while exercising good business judgement and risk management.
What You Will Do :
- Lead our global tax activities, including the federal, state, and international income tax filings, annual audits, sales tax reporting and remittance, local business taxes, property taxes, employee-facing taxes and more
- Manage the tax aspects of global transaction planning, M&A, due diligence, purchase accounting, post-closing integration and compliance activities
- Manage the tax planning and compliance related to our continued international expansion, including risk assessment, entity structures, registrations, filings, transfer pricing and more
- Oversee the preparation of the quarterly/annual income tax provision and related financial reporting in accordance with ASC 740
- Manage the relationship and workflow with outside tax consultants, advisors and auditors
- Partner with cross-functional internal teams and provide education around tax risk and issues / opportunities arising from our business activities including M&A, new revenue streams, equity transactions, international expansion and more
- Research, analyze, document, and share the latest developments in global tax legislation and their accompanying impact to the Company
- Develop, plan, and execute a Treasury plan covering risk mitigation, banking relationships, cash planning initiatives & financing structures
- Manage day-to-day global treasury activities by overseeing domestic and international cash transactions, ensuring covenant compliance and more
- Develop and maintain best-in-class processes and controls to support the Company’s hyper-growth, leveraging automated solutions where possible
- Assist with other special/technical tax and treasury projects
- 10+ years of relevant experience with a combination of public accounting firm and technology industry
- 3+ years of progressive management experience; strong leadership skills with the ability to coach, mentor and develop others, and motivate teams to produce quality work with tight timeframes
- CPA/CA and/or Masters of Tax, JD, LLM with excellent experience and working knowledge of domestic and international income and indirect tax compliance, M&A transactions and international planning
- Strong working knowledge and experience with ASC 740 and US GAAP
- Excellent research and problem solving skills, in additional strong documentation skills
- Strong project management skills encompassing attention to detail and ability to prioritize and lead high priority tasks on concurrent timelines
- Demonstrated self-initiative that drives a desire for impact and achievement
- Comfort with fast-paced environments and openness to change
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.