Senior Lighting Artist
14 days ago
Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square Enix family and the studio behind Marvel’s Avengers and the award-winning Tomb Raider game franchise, is constantly on the hunt for top-tier gaming talent worldwide. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best talent available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming. Our 25-plus years of game development experience, as well as our combined AAA games industry pedigree, has established us as one of best studios to work for today. Join us and help shape the future of the award-winning Tomb Raider franchise, Marvel’s Avengers, and the next Perfect Dark!
Benefits for this full-time position include a competitive salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options and plenty of days of paid time-off.
Come be a part of the next Perfect Dark!
Crystal Dynamics is looking for a Senior Lighting Artist who has an eye for high quality, best-in-class lighting and composition for real-time environments. The Senior Lighting Artist will be working on a small but fiercely talented team to bring to life the key moments in our narrative stories, levels and experiences. The successful candidate will be able to create art under minimal to moderate supervision. Real-time lighting experience is required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create visually stunning, atmospheric, effective and efficient natural and architectural environments to showcase robust mood and tone for immersive gameplay and cines
- Demonstrate gifted proficiency performing gameplay lighting to direct player interactions and experiences
- Submit deliverables efficient to real-time engine and programming constraints
- Proactively conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and artistic problem solving
- Work with Tech Art and Engineering teams to develop future lighting pipelines, feature improvements and R&D advanced lighting techniques which will push the envelope of quality and style
- Work closely with FX and Material artists to ensure lighting and shading is harmonious across different complex surfaces
- Experience as a senior artist, in the game development industry on AAA console titles (or relevant industry) with at least one shipped title (or relevant projects)
- Sound knowledge lighting, composition, and visual structure theory and understanding of advanced lighting techniques in the video game, feature animation or VFX industries
- Equally effective at collaborating with Art Direction and working independently with minimal direction when needed
- Photoshop experience as well as extensive experience in proprietary rendering packages and/or 3rd party editors
Bonus Skills & Experience
- Traditional art background, cinematography and photography experience
- Passion and interest in secondary skill sets such as material creation, high resolution sculpting, FX, world building, and set dressing are a plus
SPECIAL NOTE: ** A portfolio submission is required for this position. Please focus this portfolio on personal contributions to your projects. Please include a shot breakdown specifying what you were directly responsible for creating. Portfolios should include the following:
- Video portfolios are preferred for this position – please send over with your application (link please, not full videos)
- In place of a video reel - 10-15 best examples of your work (Maya renders in addition to in-game screen shots)
- Cinematic or Photography examples showcasing your eye for lighting and composition
We are committed to identifying and implementing positive and persistent measures to ensure equal opportunity in the recruitment, hiring, development, training, promotion and compensation of a diverse team employee group. This includes persons of different race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, political affiliation, age, veteran status, uniform service member status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or citizenship, as well as any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.