Senior Lighting Artist
San Mateo CA US
3 days ago
SENIOR LIGHTING ARTIST
Who We Are:
We are a team of developers with a uniting passion for crafting highly engaging entertainment with a commitment to putting fans first. Our core values are our North Star ever reminding us who we intend to be and what we strive to create. Our studio culture is built on the belief that the more varied voices in our collective story the stronger our team and our game will be. We are an association of diverse game makers driven by a passion for our art and inspired by a culture of inclusivity to build games that thrill players everywhere.
Our Rallying Cry: Bring fun, inspiration and awe to our lives and to our community.
THRIVE ON TRUST
- We are inspired to do our best work because we are safe to take risks in an environment built on sincerity and respect.
CHASE THE HORIZON
- We believe the next great inspiration is just over the next peak; we push ourselves and each other to find it. We are all active in bringing innovation to life.
- Our strength is in our collective experiences and we stand proudly for representation and inclusion.
LIVE YOUR DREAMS
- We are driven with a passion to reach our fullest potential. Personal growth is an enduring priority for all of us.
- We don’t polish stones. We deliver brilliance. This devotion shines through in ways that raise the bar for all of us, and the experiences we bring to players everywhere.
Who You Are:
You understand the influence of a shadow or reflection. You know the warmth evoked by a ray of sunlight. You are obsessed by the impact adding lighting to game environments has to create atmosphere, tone, depth and a touch of realism in the game. Your careful choices and placement will emphasize drama, narrative, and also clarify gameplay elements and location. You will leverage your artistic sense of aesthetics to create lighting in environments that bring the Art Director’s vision to life, as well as your technical knowledge to make sure that the lighting runs within budget of the game runtime performance.
- 5-7 years proven industry experience in Games or Film in generating final lighting/rendering
- Deep understanding of CG lighting technology, both real-time and offline rendering
- Thorough understanding of direct/indirect lighting, color space, color theory, exposure, HDR lighting, global illumination and physical based shading
- Being pro-active in contributing ideas/elements to the gameplay or emphasize narrative component in the game using lighting as the toolset
- Able to produce quality lighting setup and solve performance challenge within the runtime constraints
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt in using proprietary tools/engine
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process
- Skilled in the use of Maya/Max and Photoshop
- Good understanding of cinematography and the use of camera system technology in CG environment
- Experience with real-time lighting large game worlds a plus
- Experience in using deferred lighting within Unreal a plus
What We Need:
A passionate and talented Lighting Artist possessing solid artistic skills, including a thorough understanding of color theory, composition, lighting, shadows and exposure system. You have experience with a 3D CG rendering package (e.g Maya/Max Mental Ray, etc.), demonstrating a solid understanding of rendering and physical lighting system and how it is simulated in a real-time CG.
- Create the exterior and interior lighting within the world with time of day in mind
- Create light projection textures/cubemap from offline software (3DsMax/Maya/Photoshop)
- Participate in look-development around key materials/shaders to ensure lighting delivers against visual reference
- Place, tweak and script light sources within the environment and tweak shaders/material and textures to improve the perception of the lighting
- Post processing and time of day system adjustment
- Prototype the use of lighting technology to reach the visual targets define by the art direction
- You’ll work with the Art director and rendering programmers to define and sell in request for new tech features, optimization and improved editor workflow
- Work with Environment, Design and Effects teams to polish, troubleshoot and deliver breathtaking level and gameplay experiences