Senior Level Designer
10 days ago
Do you live, breathe, and dream F2P puzzle levels? Is your mind filled with crazy ideas on ways to evolve the player's experience? Do you know how to inspire and lead a team to create their best work? We are looking for an experienced and passionate Level Design Craft Director to join our successful Puzzle Studio. Our vision is to innovate on the puzzle category with games that fill players with delight. You will directly contribute to Angry Birds Dream Blast’s
level design team. Levels are a key focus area for our team and you will take them to the next level. As a critical part of the game team, you will design new levels, mechanics and gameplay features with the goal to delight our new and existing players. Of course our existing content is an important area where you will be working hands on with our analysts to curate our existing 10k+ levels and maximize their potential.
We expect that you share our passion to take puzzle gaming to the next level by providing deeper gameplay experiences, and for that, you want to understand how levels connect to all other areas of the game, level mechanics, player feedback, level design philosophies, and the player journey in all ways.
The whole team is located in Finland and works in a hybrid model, onsite as needed (for example, approximately 1 to 2 days a week) and the rest of the week can be at home or at the office. We have a Nomad program which allows you to work from everywhere for 2 months in a 12 months consecutive rolling period.
- Work closely with the Lead Designer and other Stakeholders to ensure we are reaching needs and goals set for the project
- Lead the vision for the level design craft in the projectCreate and put in place level design philosophies to design core game logic and level mechanics
- Collaborate with other designers to craft cohesive experiences for players
- Understand and craft the players' journey through the level experience
- Advise LiveOps team on A/B tests best practices related to level content and core/toy to drive results
- Mentor/coach associate designers working on features related to the level experience and level creation
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Strong commercial experience and proven success working on mobile F2P games
- Experience in both operating live games and developing new games from scratch is a plus
- A few years building levels for a puzzle game
- Shipped 1+ games as Designer.
- Some time as Lead Level Designer is a plus. The need to push limits and try new things, the curiosity and willingness to explore, and the ability to discover new experiences for players
- A collaborative approach to game design to empower and inspire those around you
- Experience working closely with BI to understand the data and create a plan to improve KPIs
- Experience in people leadership - building, managing, and developing a team and its members
- An ability to align a team behind a vision and coach the team to high performance
- Flexible in their approach while trying to be as impactful as they can
- An ability to manage conflict with team members by listening, understanding, and aligning to the goals of the team
- Strong communication skills verbally and in writingCritical thinker who is creative, adaptive and a strong problem solve
First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been, and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team, and the specifics of the role
Second round: You will do an exercise to complete in your own time so that we can better understand your analysis skills and design process
Third round: You will meet with the studios Level Design Craft Leads and Lead designer of the project to dive deeper into the exercise
Final round: You will be invited to meet the Project Leads of the projects. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where you can help us develop as well as we help you.
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, several match 3 games such as Angry Birds Match and Small Town Murders as well as slingshot games like Angry Birds Friends and a great newcomer Angry Birds Journey. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.