This job might no longer be available.
Senior Level Designer [Avatar Project]
8 months ago
As part of the Avatar Project, you’ll play an instrumental role in bringing to life the beautiful and dangerous world of Pandora. This is a unique opportunity to keep growing your experience in games while working hand-in-hand with Disney’s creative minds and James Cameron’s production company, Lightstorm Entertainment.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Level Designer who excels at building and implementing combat scenarios for action-adventure games. You'll have unique design problems to solve on Pandora, where the flora and fauna are quite literally out of this world.
Reporting to a Lead Level Designer and with the support of an Associate Producer you'll play a significant role in one of our LD teams, where you will have ownership over certain game content areas and collaborate with other disciplines (Narrative Design, Art, Game Design, and Coders) to help us create a memorable player experience for an established IP, and be credited on a major AAA production with Ubisoft.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö Sweden and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager/cover letter in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job-ad is posted.
- Conceptualize, design, build, and script bespoke levels
- Research the vast world of Pandora to have a deep understanding of the IP
- Create design documentation based on the direction from the Creative Director and Lead Designers
- Design and implement areas of the game including layout, character placement, objectives, and other gameplay-related entities
- Collaborate with the Creative Director and Lead Designers to contribute engaging ideas towards all aspects of game design
- Collaborate with other Level Designers to define and refine level layouts to create an extremely fun, satisfying, and polished level design flow
- Actively participate in and lead specific discussions concerning design reviews and design issues
- Facilitate communication across other disciplines to clear dependencies and ensure a high-quality bar is met during each milestone
- Work closely with the narrative and art department to conceive and design environments that are innovative and visually impressive.
- Collaborate with the engineering team to develop and enhance the development of tools and processes used in building our levels
- Share knowledge and mentor junior designers
You as a person
You have a positive attitude and are passionate about games and game development. You enjoy helping others succeed and are an effective communicator within a large production team. Ideally, you sympathize with the values of James Cameron's Avatar and we hope you’re the kind of person who looks forward to a technical challenge - and that the thought of learning to use our Snowdrop™ engine excites you.
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- Proven experience within AAA game production, with credits on at least 2 shipped AAA titles
- Ability to design creative and interesting game levels utilizing 3D tools
- (UnrealEd, Maya, Max, Hammer, Radiant or similar 3D editor)
- Previous experience with visual scripting (Kismet/Blueprints, Bolt, Snowdrop)
- Must possess a strong working knowledge of game design systems and a full understanding of the relationship between gameplay elements and the overall game
- Deep knowledge of the adventure/shooter game genre
- Solid knowledge of the game production pipeline
- Ability to apply critical thinking and analytical skills to resolve complex issues
- Ability to meet deadlines designated for team projects
- Ability to learn new tools quickly
- Has experience and enjoys mentoring junior colleagues
Good to know
We aim to build a team that continuously pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in game development, and because we love to learn and grow from the people around us, we might ask you to complete a practical test as a part of the recruitment process.
We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you.Meanwhile, please check out the videos posted below and our employee perks here, to gain greater insight into life at Massive.
Longing to be part of a fun, creative, and passionate workplace? We can offer you this and more in an open and friendly environment where you will work with some of the best craftsmen in the industry. Are you up for it? Come aboard for the ride!
Massive Entertainment is a premier producer of games and interactive entertainment for the global market. The studio is located in Malmö, Sweden, and fully owned by Ubisoft, the world’s third-largest independent video game publisher. We are more than 650 people from 45+ different countries working together to produce major titles such as World in Conflict, Far Cry 3, Tom Clancy’s The Division, and our latest Avatar Project.
We value diversity at Massive, promote a family-friendly culture and a gender-balanced work environment, where equal opportunities play a meaningful role in the day-to-day operations of our studio.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun, and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery.
At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create experiences and brands people will fall in love with.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.