This job might no longer be available.
Senior / Lead Concept Artist
Irvine, CA, United States
7 months ago
Our team is working on an unannounced project at Blizzard and we’re looking for a versatile and creative Senior or Lead Concept Artist. Your goal is to bring characters, creatures, environments, and an entire world to life, and push the visual development of this unannounced project. If you’re interested in combining inspiring art with inspiring gameplay while actively collaborating and thriving on a small team, we want to hear from you.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
DAY TO DAY TASKS
- Create highly imaginative character, creature, environment, and prop concepts that inspire a team and contribute to the unique visual direction of a new game.
- Create mood paintings, color studies, and lighting keys to inform and inspire other environment artists and level designers.
- Create epic and inspiring character and creature concepts that focus on design and help draw players into a world.
- Create jaw-dropping illustration work to promote an idea and enroll others in a unique artistic vision for the game.
- Help staff the art team with talented concept artists who would thrive as contributors and at Blizzard as a whole.
- Coordinating with other art leads, design, and production to help accomplish the goals of the concept art team.
- Document and communicate specifications and visual benchmarks to support the game’s artistic vision to both internal and external artists.
- Partnering with other artists, designers, and engineers to collaborate on creatively complex assignments to develop an inspiring art vision for this new Blizzard experience.
- 7+ years professional experience as a concept designer and/or art lead and you understand the concept artist’s role in the game development process.
- Exceptional ability to create traditional 2D art. You know when to work quick to generate conceptual ideas, and when to slow down and polish an image for public consumption.
- You have experience shipping a game as an art lead or art director where you helped oversee the quality, scheduling, and implementation of a large portion of the conceptual development on an art team.
- You’ve hired exceptionally talented artists onto a team and helped them “learn and grow” through constructive art feedback and coaching.
- You’re highly creative and an expert with design, silhouette, and structure when creating characters and/or you’re a pro with lighting, staging, color and composition when developing inspiring environmental art.
- Exceptional understanding of human and creature anatomy and you know how to stylize them to create compelling and memorable characters with emotions and feelings.
- You love to collaborate, motivate, inspire, and mentor others. Creating epic entertainment experiences is a team effort and you thrive when exploring ideas and working with others on a team.
- You’re a positive, proactive problem solver, and you lead by example and contribute to the studio culture by giving with the actions you take on the team.
- You love video games, movies, and animation, and you love dissecting them while thinking how to take them to the next level.
- You have a passion for Blizzard games and understand the unique approach to creating art for our game universes.
- Portfolio – Only digital applications will be accepted such as a website, blog, or online album. Physical media will not be accepted.
- An art test might be required.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.