Senior IT Operations Manager
12 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $77 billion in 2020 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross , Susan G. Komen , American Cancer Society , and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies , a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50 , one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups , and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who We’re Looking For:
Skillz is looking for a Sr. Manager IT Operations responsible for managing the IT Service Desk, End User Computing, Mobile Devices, Video & Voice Telecommunications technologies, and all related processes to meet business and service level expectations. Works closely with business departments, peer tower leads, vendors, strategic partners, and studio support organizations to help identify, evaluate, and operationally support the technology solutions.
Provide technology leadership and day-to-day management in the design, implementation, and operations of Skillz information technology systems. Collaborate with peer tower leads to ensure alignment with enterprise architecture, system design & development, application support, network, security, and program delivery goals. Possess a solid understanding of information technology platforms that supports the media, entertainment, and mobile gaming industry.
This role will help the company mature our organization by building and implementing secure and scalable processes and procedures to support end users. The Senior IT Operations Manager at Skillz will be responsible for adhering to security policies and procedures throughout our enterprise ecosystem. This role will report to the Head of Enterprise Systems within our operations team but will partner with team members throughout the business to identify needs, architect solutions and resolve issues to support the growth of our rapidly scaling business.
What You’ll Do:
- Hands-on leadership of the IT Operations team in the day-to-day support and delivery of the IT Service Desk, End User Computing, Mobile Devices, Video & Voice Telecommunications services to our end-users.
- Manage, maintain, and track Roadmap, SLAs, KPIs, and OKRs with the IT Operations team.
- Manages a high-performance team of employees to deliver a quality set of integrated services with adherence to standard processes, and tools.
- Manage service outages, escalations, and support the development of a Root Cause Analysis (RCA).
- Provide excellent internal customer service to end users.
- Interface with key customers regarding specific customer operational needs.
- Ensure end user Incidents and Service Requests are resolved in a timely manner.
- Maintain a strong working relationship of trust with IT Operations vendors and strategic partners.
- Oversee and audit all IT fixed assets in the CMDB to ensure it’s accuracy.
- Draft, update, and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), User Documentation, Usage Policies, and Training Guides on the company intranet.
- Seek out process automation opportunities to eliminate human error where applicable.
- Facilitate clear and concise communications between teams, peers, vendors, and other technology resources.
- Demonstrates exceptional professionalism in communication, demeanor, and teamwork with customers, peers and management.
- Consult with and advise other departments in the use of voice communication equipment and serves as a focal point for user inquiries regarding voice communications uses and capabilities.
- Deliver high quality work, attention to detail, superior work ethic, and strategic solution-oriented thinking.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to work extended hours when necessary.
- Some travel may be required.
- Works with all IT departments and staff to accomplish department goals.
- Provides coaching and direction to staff, as well as ability to develop and empower direct reports.
- Ensures workflow and processes are to maximum efficiencies for business necessity.
- Four year degree (or a great reason why you don't have one)
- 10+ years of work experience in IT infrastructure or another related field
- 5+ years of work experience as an IT Operations Manager or Director overseeing a team of 3-5 employees minimum.
- Ability to communicate clearly to various levels of management (including executive management), across various business functions (including engineering)
- Experience supporting/managing ~1,000+ user-sized company.
- Experience in implementing and managing ITSM solutions to meet business and technology needs.
- Operational knowledge of release management, change control, helpdesk, CMDB, call management systems, operating systems (MS Windows and Apple Macs), patch and update management and deployment tools.
- Technical understanding of current desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, TVs, VoIP telephony, IVR, multifunction printers, networking, servers, and office automation devices.
- Ability to support/supervise/manage geographically dispersed work teams, users and vendors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills, including conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Has related certifications such as HDI, ITIL, A+, Net+.
- Experience with Google Workspace
- Experience with Jira
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.