Senior Hardware Engineer (ISP)
14 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Hardware Engineer (ISP)
Aliso Viejo, CA
Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for a talented hardware engineer interested in pushing the limits of technology. As the leaders of Cloud Gaming, the Hardware & Systems Engineering team is responsible for the design of the server technology powering PlayStation Now and other SIE Cloud services.
As a Senior Hardware Engineer, you will develop new rack and server technology for use at data centers, ISP/telco data centers and network PoPs and assist with validation. With our mix of production and R&D projects, you will see challenging, fast-paced work every single day.
Our ideal engineer brings healthy creativity, a history of accomplishment and a desire to face unique new challenges.
- Define and create new PlayStation Cloud Computing server and rack designs
Your top-level work will center on contributing to architectural and design specifications and developing/validating hardware systems to meet those specifications. Your designs will include server, rack, power, cooling and interconnect.
- Work with suppliers and partners to realize success
You will define EVT, DVT and PVT success criteria and manage process for each stage. This includes participation in design process to offer creative solutions and remedies for issues. You will review all designs to meet product specifications and Sony/industry standards.
- Work with local and remote teams and suppliers to create product and services
You will provide design and delivery expertise to our Hardware and Systems Engineering team. You will create future products with internal Sony groups, external design firms and ODMs/OEMs. With internal and external resources; you will integrate and validate these products and create remedies to latent issues.
Qualifications and Skills
- BSc / MSc in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Understanding of design considerations
- Thermal, mechanical and electrical design in a datacenter, ISP/telco datacenter or network PoP environment
- Fundamental understanding of the financial impact of your design decisions at scale
- Signal integrity and power integrity
- Working knowledge of electrical design
- Circuit and PCB design and prototyping
- Proficient with schematic capture and board layout software such as Cadence EDA
- Proficient with CAD tools such as AutoCAD/SolidWorks
- Working knowledge of global certification requirements and testing, including safety and EMC
- Hands-on coding experience with languages appropriate for prototyping, automation and test ( e.g. , Python, bash script, C/C++)
- Deep knowledge of server components, such as CPUs, SSDs, GPUs, networking and interconnect
- Strong communication skills (English written and verbal. Japanese or Mandarin a plus)
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience with electrical, system and rack-level design, through all stages of the development, manufacture and release cycles.
- Understanding of and experience with scaled supply chains, especially with server ODMs, OEMs or contract manufacturers.
- Experience designing hardware for ISP / telco data centers and network PoPs.
- Previous experience developing Rack Scale solutions with shared power such as OCP, ODCC, Open19.
- Prior experience with HPC / Cluster technologies including high-speed interconnect fabrics. PCIe 4 / 5 or GenZ a plus,
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information , including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information , including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.