Senior Hardware Engineer, Foundation
18 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
As a part of the *Foundation* Hardware Engineering team you will drive the continual improvement of Roblox's hardware infrastructure. You will be responsible for server qualification, integration, and debugging, while designing and implementing systems to automate tasks.
- Guide the software & firmware testing necessary for a systems project from proposal to production
- Develop and maintain tools to automate OS & firmware testing
- Collaborate with Hardware Platform Engineers to develop and stress-test systems to support Roblox workloads
- Investigate, triage, and debug system level issues and collaborate with Datacenter Operations to resolve these issues
- Interface with hardware vendors and provide feedback for future product development.
- Lead the evaluation and certification of new server hardware platforms primarily focused on qualification and integration with existing automation systems
- Contribute to and execute validation plans, oversee execution and test reports across multiple disciplines including mechanical, firmware, and system software
- Investigate, triage, and debug hardware and system level issues down to component and firmware level working across the organization
- Develop tools to help automate the certification, benchmarking and support of server hardware platforms
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field with equivalent practical experience
- skills with programming languages, like Python or Go
- skills with OS and firmware qualifications for systems
- Skills in building tests & automation for OS, firmware and other software updates for systems
- In-depth knowledge of modern data center server platforms & technologies.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking and commonly used low level protocols like DHCP and TFTP
- skills in testing CPU, memory, storage, power, and networking subsystems
- Linux System Administration knowledge, such as shells, daemons, services and software deployment.
- Ability to track, debug and resolve operational issues
- A willingness to travel to Roblox data centers from time to time, if necessary
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
$218,540 — $283,780 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.