Senior Generalist Designer
18 days ago
Blind Squirrel Games (BSG) is a proud, independent studio that joins forces with developers and publishers seeking an innovative partner in creating quality games. At BSG, people are our purpose, so we prioritize an inquisitive, proactive, and collaborative work environment for all our squirrels. We operate as a hybrid-remote studio, allowing our developers the flexibility to crush milestone goals at the studio or within the comfort of their own home. We currently have studio locations in Irvine, California; Austin, Texas; and Auckland, New Zealand.
At BSG, we are happy to provide ample opportunities for career development, host social activities, and various other perks for our employees, such as:
🌰 Competitive Compensation Package including:
🌰 Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
🌰 Company-paid life insurance
🌰 401k plan with company contribution
🌰 Flexible work schedule
🌰 Paid Time Off
🌰 Extended Winter Break (Paid)
🌰 Remote Work
🌰 Company-sponsored Activities (Game nights, movie outings, potlucks, contests, etc.)
Skills and experience are highly valued at BSG, but we recognize that talent is a product of hard-work, resilience, and a growth-mindset. Therefore, we champion individuals who have demonstrated they have the grit necessary to overcome challenges and subscribe to the notion that inclusion breeds synergy and innovation. To us, diversity isn't a metric—it's a must!
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Blind Squirrel Games is looking for a Senior Generalist Designer to help us create a sci-fi action game based off a prized IP!
The ideal candidate for this role is self-driven and can translate a thorough understanding of a wide range of design responsibilities. They feel just as comfortable doing encounters and level design, as they are scripting and crafting complex game systems.
This is a full-time position available to work remotely or based out of BSG's Irvine, CA or Austin, TX.
The annual salary range being considered for this role is $89,600 - $134,400. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance, and location.
SENIOR DESIGNERS AT BSG...
You have intimate knowledge of the design pipeline and have evolved your skillset and techniques to align with the wisdom you've gained by working on numerous AAA titles. You are recognized as a reliable developer with the chops to get the job done but the self-actualization to know when to seek feedback. You laugh in the face of a challenge because you already set high expectations for yourself and are confident in your ability to deliver high-quality work the first time around.
Although your influence is essential to the department's success and you provide some mentorship to junior developers, designing is your bread and butter. You are a master of independent work but recognize the power behind collaboration so you haven't forgotten how to be a team player.
- Take ownership of complex design systems and collaborate cross-functionally to oversee the in-game implementation of related tools and features
- Determine problem areas impacting combat systems, monetization, technical design and craft swift, creative solutions
- Create, block-out, script and markup levels
- Build comprehensive and engaging elements that apply ergonomic principles and accessibility
- Work with and take guidance from Directors to drive design-centric features from concept to completion
- Standardize, document and advocate for high-quality design fundamentals, continuously improving the workflow process as it relates to the game's interactive elements such as game systems, controls, and interfaces
- Participate in and contribute to cross-functional discussions related to the development and implementation of tools and required game systems adjustments
- Assist in mentoring junior members of the design team
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 5+ years of experience in the game industry or related area
- A portfolio demonstrating exemplary design experience working in interactive media
- Expertise scripting in Unreal 4/5 or within proprietary game engines
- Strong technical abilities
- Experience with dynamic/systematic content generation
- Shipped a triple AAA Game
- 3rd Person action experience
- Good knowledge of the RTS genre
Blind Squirrel Entertainment, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Eligibility to participate in benefits and perks may vary depending on position term and location.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.