Senior Gameplay UI Engineer - Overwatch 2
9 months ago
Job Title:Senior Gameplay UI Engineer - Overwatch 2
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…engineers! We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for a new hero to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
In Overwatch 2, the nations of Earth are under assault. As the omnic forces of Null Sector launch a barrage of surprise attacks around the world, the planet’s governments and militaries prove quickly outmatched—and the remnants of the fearless strike force once known as Overwatch rally to make a valiant stand. Now the world’s heroes must each decide whether to answer the call to reemerge, reunite, and serve as a beacon of hope in a new era of crisis.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Senior Gameplay UI Engineer who shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
As a senior gameplay UI engineer on Overwatch team, you will be part of a talented and passionate team developing a world class gameplay experience, unlocking the potential of our designers and artists to create compelling and exciting UI features. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the challenges involved with making UI experiences across both PC and console and be able to collaborate closely with other disciplines.
- Partner with designers, artists, and other engineers to create compelling and exciting user interfaces
- Contribute to the design of the UI features and systems both aesthetically, and systemically
- Develop new functionality in the underlying UI framework to support new gameplay features
- Play an active role in supporting the game by helping address issues in production
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge and maintain a process of technological evolution
- Mentor other engineers on the gameplay features team
- Extensive game user interface design and implementation experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ professional game programming experience or equivalent
- Advanced C++ programming skills
- Deep understanding of common user interface concepts like layout, text, event-driven programming, and control widgets
- Experience working with localization/internationalization systems and dealing with related issues
- Thrives in a collaborative team environment
- Self-motivated and self-directing, willing to pitch in on areas of development
- Excellent communication skills
- Passion for video games
- Developed and maintained a live game
- Experience with gamepad and keyboard/mouse UX considerations
- Familiarity with established UI authoring tools
- Passion for first person shooters