Senior Gameplay Engineer
18 days ago
We are looking for a broadly experienced Gameplay Engineer to join our San Mateo studio and work on an original new IP. We strive to work in nimble, empowered teams that are aligned around bringing players together through deep multiplayer games. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
As a gameplay engineer, you will work collaboratively with the Product Director, design team and fellow engineers to architect and implement efficient, maintainable game systems. Our team puts creating great player experiences first and foremost, and you will be a critical part of making that possible. An ideal candidate will bring a strong optimization toolkit, comfort working in large codebases, and a track record of pushing the state of the art.
The successful candidate must have strong C++ skills and have a passion for problem solving in an R&D environment. The applicant must have experience developing highly efficient gameplay for a networked game. They must demonstrate prior ownership of systems with strong top-to-bottom design and implementation. This engineer should be self directed and passionate about great gaming experiences.
- Designs, prototypes, implements and test gameplay features and supporting systems.
- Produce tools or debug features to help designers or programmers develop gameplay features.
- Consult with other Engineers and Designers on the team to develop systems in support of R&D prototyping, as required.
- Coordinate with other teams to enhance R&D efforts collaboratively.
- 7+ years of software experience in the games industry.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous R&D environment.
- Highly proficient in C++.
- Experience prototyping game features in a multiplayer environment.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment.
- Good knowledge of UE4 and Blueprints.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Has been responsible for driving the technical vision of a large system or area of the game.
- Driven and self-motivated.
- Deep knowledge of at least one of the following areas: AI, combat systems, network optimization, simulation systems.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers — local and remote.
- Familiar with PC, console (XBox, PlayStation, Nintendo), and mobile development.
- Live service experience.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.
Phoenix Labs is headquartered in Vancouver, BC, with studios in Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.
Learn more about our values->