Senior Gameplay Animator
12 days ago
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Sheffield are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Gameplay Animator, with a broad range of animation styles and the ability to create dynamic and compelling animation (including hand-keyed and/or motion capture based) as required by the project.
We require someone who understands gameplay animation production and its idiosyncrasies. The role is to work closely with the team to produce and integrate animations into the game, ensuring technical constraints are met.
Working with code and design, you will bring characters to life that are directly related to game mechanics, ensuring quality animation and player experience.
Within this role you will:
- High levels of experience using game engines with hands-on experience working with state machine/blend tree solutions
- Implement animations into engine with full ownership of your work
- Produce high quality key-frame animation (great sense of weight, timing, and strong posing)
- Have a strong understanding of Motion Builder and mocap data editing techniques for games
- Be able to craft appealing animations, across a broad range of styles from dynamic stylisation to realistic body mechanics
- Contribute to the design and execution of complex gameplay systems
- Communicate effectively within a large group/multiple project environment
- Coach and mentor junior members of staff
- Have a strong body of work demonstrating solid understanding of body mechanics and animation fundamentals
We need you to have:
- Shipped at least 2 AAA console games in a senior animation role
- A highly responsible, self-directed, detail oriented problem solving mindset with a desire to contribute to a creative environment
- Outstanding organization, communication, and exceptional management skills/leadership
- The ability to give and receive constructive feedback when interacting with other team members, keeping the focus on making the best game possible
- Experience and understanding of implementation for core gameplay systems and mechanics, keeping up-to-date on current industry practice
- Proficiency in both Maya and Motionbuilder
- Mentoring skills, helping junior staff to grow and improve their skills
- Superior attention to detail
- Teamwork skills and the ability to work under pressure
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus & Annual Salary Reviews
· Electric Car Scheme
· Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday a duvet day and Christmas
· Holiday ‘buy and sell’ scheme
· 5 Paid Learning Days, including 1 volunteer day per year
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses, The Gnomen Workshop, GDC Vault and more
· Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
· Free Life Assurance - 4x Salary
· Free Income Protection Scheme -up to 75%
· Free Dental Insurance
· Supportive Employee Assistance Programme with confidential 24/7/365 helpline & app
· Access remote GP, Mental Health, Physio appointments & medical second opinions
· Additional flexible benefits scheme
· Cycle to Work Scheme
· Mental Health First Aiders
· Payroll Giving Scheme
· Game & Book Libraries
· Long service & project completion awards
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Great family events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.