Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare, Naughty Dog, 343 Industries, id Software, Santa Monica Studio, and more! Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying gamesin the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks a passionate, experienced, and collaborative Senior Gameplay Animator to help us make a “game of the year” quality single-player Sci-Fi experience! You’ll create impactful actions and performances for both creature and characters and work closely with design and engineering to build amazing animation and outstanding gameplay.
A solid understanding of game engine state machines and animation implementation is a must, and the ideal candidate must also possess the expertise in body mechanics and keyframing technique vital to consistently produce outstanding gameplay animation.
What You'll Do
- Create high quality game animation using both motion capture and keyframe animation techniques
- Prototype, visualize and polish gameplay mechanics and systems for a wide cast of compelling characters
- Provide an animator’s perspective and feedback during multi-disciplinary meetings that helps inform and inspire the team
- Think creatively to find systemic solutions that push animation fidelity and/or increase efficiency
- Help to iteratively improve animation pipelines and tools
- Mentor and critique associate level animators
- Help foster a culture of excellence in game animation by inspiring the team with your work
- Design, plan, and help guide in-house motion capture sessions
- Anticipate potential production challenges and recommend solutions that foster a productive development environment
What You'll Bring
- 5 or more years of experience as a Gameplay Animator with at least 2 shipped titles
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certificate in a relevant field of Art/Animation, or equivalent industry experience
- Experience using mocap data and technologies to deliver compelling real-time performances
- Expert level skill in keyframe animation and the ability to create high fidelity movement and performances for in-game systems.
- Extensive experience animating humans, creatures, or pretty much anything that moves.
- Outstanding artistic and technical creativity and curiosity
- Experience working in Unreal or other AAA game engines
- Advanced experience building and maintaining gameplay animation systems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills in tools and process
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, can perform duties with little oversight
- Leadership experience
- High-level blueprint/state machine experience in Unreal
- Experience animating cameras and knowledge of cinematography
- Maya tool scripting and/or animation tools experience
- Experience with motion capture directing and performance
- Experience developing 3rd person action games
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.