Senior Game Systems Engineer - C++
16 days ago
Jagex is currently hiring for a Senior Game Systems Engineer who is skilled with C++ and has worked on large platforms or complex systems.
You will be working as part of a passionate and cross-disciplinary agile team where you will be integral to the development and delivery of the product roadmap, including innovating on key technical initiatives like graphical enhancements and user-generated content.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Programming using C++ as required to service assigned tasks. (Any experience with Java would be an advantage but not essential)
- Generation of tasks to meet provided goals and creation of documentation detailing code design approach and implementation.
- Working on a variety of projects in the department covering all aspects of the group’s technological
- domain, making good use of support tools (e.g. profiler, debugger, code-analysis tools) to ensure your code is of high quality.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for areas of the code base, becoming an expert, looking for improvements and sharing that knowledge with the team.
- Assessing new technologies to adapt and promote where applicable.
- Performing maintenance tasks to keep internal tools and build systems working in good order for our internal customers.
- Mentoring, guiding, and levelling up more junior developers on the team.
- Providing realistic time estimates for assigned tasks to stakeholders, with tasks broken down to a suitable size.
- Suggesting and championing projects or processes that drive the department tech and team forward, anticipating and identifying problem areas and developing preventative solutions.
- Gain awareness of business needs and priorities outside of the group’s core focus and take these into account when planning development tasks.
- Contributing to overall project strategy. Be willing to put forward ideas, and to positively critique those put forward by others.
- Building strong working relationships with team members and with other groups across the organisation, especially the Old School RuneScape content and Publishing Platform groups.
- Assisting in the recruitment of other great team members.
- To behave at all times in a professional manner, maintaining a positive and conscientious work ethic whilst also demonstrating initiative and determination to get the job done.
- To work effectively with colleagues both within the immediate team and across the company whenever necessary.
- To demonstrate a willingness to adapt to the evolving environment of the company, teams and work requirements.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Monthly Energy Allowance
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.