Senior Game Designer
2 days ago
Bossa is looking for a talented Senior Game Designer, passionate about fundamental game mechanics, systems and core loops, who will help us deliver the upcoming survival adventure game Lost Skies. We are keen to work with someone who understands this landscape, and is able to shape memorable experiences worth playing and sharing with others in a live game environment.
If that sounds exciting, you are a seasoned Game Designer with an interesting track record, looking to make your next move and take on a new challenge. You will be comfortable working autonomously in a dynamic and highly creative environment, composed of like-minded people looking to build a legacy in the games industry through our games.
This is a unique role in one of the industry’s most creative studios, and the successful candidate will have the chance to work on an exciting new original IP, being right at the heart of one of Bossa’s most ambitious titles to date.
- Good design instincts attuned to the players and motivations you’re designing for.
- Passion for and understanding of core action-adventure game mechanics.
- A more general understanding of wider design mechanics and systems.
- An open mind with little regard for dogma, but appreciation for existent elegant design solutions to common problems.
- Awareness of past, current and future trends in game design and gameplay.
- Experience with short-term and long-term game compulsion loops.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- A natural problem solver with a positive attitude.
- A fascination for finding new and innovative approaches to problems.
- An open and inclusive approach to design.
- An understanding that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and respect for those around you.
- A drive to learn, improve and share.
- The ability to adapt to fluid situations – you know when to stick to the plan and when to put it to one side and try something different.
Great to have:
- Experience with survival and survival-adjacent games.
- Experience interacting with player groups to gauge their aspirations and reception to ideas.
- Knowledge and experience of live service games and their core engagement and retention drivers.
- Mechanics. Create multiple mechanics/systems working holistically and consistent with the game’s vision and pillars.
- Problem solving. Proactively recognise design shortcomings or imbalances in the game and propose intuitive solutions.
- Collaboration. Collaborate with programmers, artists, producers, testers, and other roles within the company to ensure a multifaceted approach to the project's design, factoring the needs of all areas of development.
- Team. Be an active contributing member of our studio design team and, along with your peers, help us raise the game design standards at the studio.
- Business awareness. Understand the commercial, audience and production goals of the project and design within its parameters.
- Communication. Maintain robust and frequent communications with the project team, your design peers and the team’s management.
- Documenting. Create game and technical design documentation as necessary for reference and briefing.
- Awareness. Maintain up to date industry and market awareness, ensuring that our games remain relevant during production and as a live product after launch.
- Annual Holiday Allowance – 22 days, to increase 1 day after every year up to a maximum of 25 days. We also shut between Christmas and New Year on top of that allowance, to make sure everyone has a real break.
- 4 day summer hours in 2023 - all Bossian's will be off on Fridays for 12 weeks.
- Private Medical Insurance and Dental – Provided by BUPA
- Life Assurance – Tax free lump sum payment of 4 x annual salary
- Pension Scheme – We match up to 5%
- EMI Share Scheme – Generous lump sum of shares awarded upon joining which will vest over a 4 year period
- Flexible Working – Bossian's now have the ability to work from home permanently.
- Supportive family policies – 6 months fully paid maternity leave and 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme – 24/7 Helpline
- Cyclescheme – up to £1,000 loan deducted from monthly salary over 12 month period
- Discounted gym membership
- Social Events – We have fantastic company culture and loads of fun social events, lots of which are now happening digitally and in-person.
**All benefits mentioned above are specific to the UK and may vary based on the country you are located in.**
Welcome to Bossa! We’re an immensely talented, daring, multicultural team of individuals (or as we like to call ourselves - Bossians!), who create extraordinary games that millions of people love, play and share every day.
Chances are, you know us as that quirky, BAFTA-winning studio behind several critically acclaimed hits, many of which have become an integral part of gaming culture (Shhh... I doctor now!). These include Surgeon Simulator, I Am Bread, Hogwash, Monstermind, and the most recently launched I Am Fish.
At the heart of Bossa’s unique way of working - whether that’s ideation, development or even marketing - is a genuine passion for connecting through humour, amongst our teams, with our players, and with all the influencers and creators around the world who regularly play Bossa games to their audiences.
We create together. We laugh together. We innovate together. We believe that’s the only way to build legacy and games that are truly fun and relevant to people’s lives.
If that sounds ideal to you, this might be the perfect role for you!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.