Senior Game Designer (Combat/AI) [Unannounced Project]
14 days ago
Are you ready to lead and coordinate the next big AI initiative in games? Do you love working with mixed teams to craft something unique together? Then hear us out!
We are looking for a someone who can own the design and implementation of NPCs and enemy combatants on an ambitious unannounced project here in Stockholm Sweden.
As a Senior Game Designer, you’ll be responsible for the make-up of good AI behaviour and for creating archetypes and designing systems that will keep our players on their toes. You will be responsible for taking the initial ideas for a combatant and converting them into fully realized behaviours in the game.
You will collaborate with Design leads of other areas, as well as a dedicated team of AI Programmers and Designers to ensure our gameplay is coherent and offers just the right level of entertainment for our players. You will take responsibility for ensuring the player experience of fighting and interacting with NPCs is a great one, whilst ensuring all elements work together and refining them to uncover game experiences that are as interesting as they are fun for our players.
We know you're passionate about games, and for us it's important that you get to thrive and succeed in a creative environment. To achieve this, we are creating strong autonomous teams who make decisions independently, having the freedom to try out new things and show why they work. For us it is important that you get to shine by being creative in your role: to take deliberate decisions, poke holes in things, navigate through known pitfalls when required to and care for your craft by honoring your commitments.
In this role, you’ll join our Game Design craft and report to our Associate Game Director within Core Gameplay (Character, Controls, Camera, Combat & AI) while working in cross-functional teams and have access to our world-wide network of Ubisoft competence.
In this role you will...
- Collaborate with other Design leads to create a high-level vision for AI
- Collaborate within a cross-disciplinary team (AI Designers, AI Programmers, Animators, 3D Artists, Audio Designers, World Designers, Producers and QC) in development of NPCs and AI systems
- Design AI systems and archetypes that will populate our game world and how they behave during various encounters
- Utilise the designed systems to implement exemplar AI archetypes that others can use as a base to develop further
- Fine tune the data for combatants to get the challenge level right for a wide variety of situations
- Constantly stay curious of AI design, explore and research future potential in the space and collaborate with our programmers to find a path forward.
- Coordinate with Associate Directors, Directors, and Producers to update on needs and timelines
- Have the opportunity to mentor junior and intermediate designers
We would love if you...
- Have experience from owning a similar design area
- Have several years of experience working with AI archetypes and combat encounters, preferably in game(s) that have been shipped
- Understand and can design (with support) a few AI systems, as for example: combat directors, spawn directors, simulation loops, AI assistant, decision making systems, target selection systems, etc.
- Know your way with AI tools and systems inside any modern game engine, such as Unreal, Frostbite, Snowdrop, CryEngine, etc.
- Can work in an international environment and express yourself fluently in English.
Apply to make it yours
Find out more about us at: http://stockholm.ubisoft.com/
Making good games takes effort, making great games takes a different type of thinking.
Are you a game designer, artist or engineer? Cool. How about a chemist, economist or social scientist? Let’s talk. At Ubisoft Stockholm, we feel different thinking comes from many places and that good ideas, no matter where they come from, are the key to unlocking our potential.
Located in the storied Östermalm neighborhood in Stockholm Sweden, we believe thinking of new ways to solve old problems is a cornerstone of innovation and we are looking for passionate people who follow their dreams to make the world a better place.
We know there is a better way to making great games.