Senior Game Designer, Card Design - Hearthstone | Irvine, CA
17 days ago
Job Title:Senior Game Designer, Card Design - Hearthstone | Irvine, CA
Pull up a chair and join us by the hearth! Blizzard is looking for an experienced Senior Game Designer to join the Hearthstone card design team. If you have a passion for the design and craft of card games and want to participate in the future of Hearthstone, we want to hear from you! Our team values creativity, collaboration and a commitment to quality. We are searching for like-minded developers to add to our team of talented game makers. Together we will learn, grow, and ultimately enjoy success by developing epic experiences for our players that push the boundaries of what Hearthstone can be.
As a Senior Game Designer on the card design team, you will have the core responsibility and specialization in making fun-to-play, clear, and balanced cards for our upcoming expansions. You will use your knowledge of Hearthstone's evolving meta to identify, iterate, and balance new and current cards.
Additionally, you will be leveraging keen design and analytical sensibilities to help design and develop cards, concepts, and flavor that encapsulates the charm of Hearthstone. As with every designer on the Hearthstone team, you will be a champion of Blizzard's core values, especially “Commit to Quality”.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The potential home studio for this role is Irvine, CA.
- 4+ years of experience as a game designer on one or more game titles
Knowledge & Skills
- A strong sense of what makes a gameplay experience compelling and fun, as well as the ability to articulate well why a game design decision is good or bad.
- A demonstrable understanding of the how the meta in competitive card games evolves as a consequence of the introduction of new mechanics and synergies.
- Clear understanding of the creative and game development processes
- Experience as a player of Hearthstone or other CCGs, including competitive play and expert level deck building experience.
- Experience mentoring other game designers or serving as a lead of a feature or team.
- Experience implementing game content using a programming or scripting language.
Knowledge & Skills
- A familiarity with statistics or analytics.
- The ability to craft compelling stories and characters through creative ideation and writing skills.
- Outstanding self-motivation and initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter, including Discussing your interest and experience with Hearthstone, as well as why you would like to work at Blizzard
- Portfolio: Please include any examples of game projects you’ve worked on, either independently or professionally
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
We value diverse voices and varied backgrounds, and we're looking for individuals to help us build fun, compelling, and inclusive gameplay, and experiences for Hearthstone. We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $80,800.00 - $149,400.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.