Senior FX Artist
1 month ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a passionate and experienced Senior FX Artist to join our Cinematics team to be a key part of pushing our visual identity.
Do you want to build stylish and compelling experiences? Do you love working with a team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious in-game content?
You will be part of a small, high-performing team who can conceive ideas quickly and come up with dazzling solutions to challenging problems. You will have a collaborative approach and be directly involved in the day-to-day decision making that will help us design and ship high quality games.
- Creation of visual effects for in-game cinematics and cutscenes
- Create high quality effects using particle systems, fluids, or physical simulation, or other dynamics systems
- Work closely with concept, layout, CG Sup, and director to create compelling per-shot visual effects
- Ensure FX assets meet technical requirements, leveraging efficiencies including caching strategies and other optimizations
- Inspire and support other FX team members, as well as counterparts from other departments
- Own breakdown of effects into constituent elements and deliverables, plan and estimate work, and collaborate with others in its execution
- Document tools and production pipelines that are clear and understandable
- 5+ years experience as an FX artist on one or more finished productions, including film, series, or game cinematics projects
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle
- Ability to work from concept and design briefs under tight production deadlines
- Experience with Audodesk Maya is required
- Preferred experience with other software including: Nuke, Houdini, Redshift, FumeFX, Phoenix FD, Marvelous Designer, etc.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Available for full time & on-site or remote work in Vancouver, BC
- 3D modeling skills2D painting skills
- Texturing skills using Substance Designer, Substance Painter and Photoshop
- Experience with Adobe Premiere/After Effects and Houdini
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.