Senior Environment Concept Artist
2 days ago
Welcome to Atomhawk!
We are Atomhawk Canada (part of the Sumo Digital Group), an award winning visual development studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on delivering industry leading art & design development services to the biggest names in the AAA video game industry. Atomhawk’svision is to lead the creative service industry by delivering cutting-edge creative conceptualization, visualization, and realization in a way that makes everyone believe in the unbelievable. We’ve built an inclusive, supportive culture built on trust, collaboration, and mentorship, and we’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team and bring their diverse skill-sets and experiences to a wide variety of projects that will come together to define the future of the video game industry!
If you’re thinking about embarking on a new adventure and like the sound of what we do, please send us your resume and portfolio for the opportunity to add your voice and talents to our team.
Art at Atomhawk Canada
We are driven by a burning passion to learn, grow, and deliver the most creative and engaging art and design possible, utilizing the latest tools and technologies to maximize our efficiency and deliver stunning results for our clients across every stage of a project. We live and breathe every aspect of the craft together, and we are there to support and encourage each other to ensure everyone regularly reaches new heights in their capabilities and contributions to the team.
A Senior Concept Artist at Atomhawk Canada is an experienced and talented artist capable of producing high quality art and design to schedule under minimal supervision. You’re confident in your own abilities to deliver, while at the same time, open to learning from the rest of the team around you. You will have the opportunity to share your skills and experience through the mentorship of intermediate artists, and as a senior, you will play an integral role in pushing the quality bar of the art and design being produced in the studio.
As a Senior Environment Concept Artist at Atomhawk, you will:
- Facilitate the creative vision as a senior member of the team and exemplify the Hawk values of honesty & accountability.
- Produce AAA quality artwork across a variety of different genres and styles, while inspiring and growing with other members of the team.
- Participate in mentoring other artists, both through your own work, and by providing (and receiving) artistic feedback/direction when required.
- Engage with clients on calls to review/discuss project progress, showing a deep understanding of their creative needs, expectations, and timelines.
- Work with production to define strong plans for your projects and processes, ensuring they are set up for success and result in the delivery of AAA art.
- Support the recruitment of additional high-quality artistic talent for the studio.
- Work with art leadership to periodically assess our art creation methodologies, assess new tools/technologies and industry trends that may help to boos our quality and efficiency.
What you bring:
- A passion, determination, and proven track record of being able to produce stunning AAA environment artwork.
- The ability to produce compelling environment art for Realistic / Sci-Fi properties while also displaying some agility in other genres and art styles.
- Efficient workflows that allow you to maximize your time and consistently deliver compelling work to both quality and budget.
- An expert ability in the use of both 2D and 3D tools to produce AAA artwork.
- Experience mentoring and guiding other artists in a supportive, positive way.
- Experience working directly with clients in the creation of AAA concept art.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced creative environment.
- An open mind to continue learning, challenging your own and he teams' knowledge and expertise.
- No ego, just confidence in your abilities as a senior concept artist!
You may also bring:
- An educational background in design/art that serves as a foundation for your work.
- Experience/skill in designing and producing art outside of environments (characters, props, weapons, vehicles, etc.).
- Experience in producing art using game engine technology (e.g., Unreal Engine 5).
Atomhawk produces the very best in cutting-edge creative conceptualisation, visualisation, and realisation. Our client list includes major names - Warner Bros, Sony, Microsoft, SEGA, Activision, 2K, EPIC, The Pokémon Company and Blizzard all feature. And we like variety. Every project is different from the last. The spectrum covers gritty, hard-hitting Mortal Kombat, irreverent and stylised Surgeon Simulator 2, comic book superheroes, nostalgic childhood favourites and all things in between. Whichever franchise is on today’s agenda - DC, Halo, Marvel, Mortal Kombat and Warhammer - we move through their worlds with ease and creative curiosity.
The work our team produces is world-class. We’ve celebrated that fact in three artbooks. Each one features concept art, tutorials and professional tips. Volume 3 was created to mark the studio’s 10th anniversary, and was displayed and sold at the Great North Museum: Hancock in Newcastle, where we held the exhibition Other Worlds: The Art of Atomhawk in 2020. You can take a virtual tour of the exhibition
Our output hasn’t gone unnoticed. We received Best Companies’ 3 Star Accreditation 2021 and Top Companies North East 2021. We hold the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade, as well as the TIGA Star Award 2021. We were also named Best Art/Animation/Trailer Supplier at the 2021 Develop Star Awards.
Creativity thrives through diversity, not conformity. Every Atomhawk applicant and employee is afforded space and freedom to be their true self, with no fear of prejudice or persecution. During the application process, you won’t be judged on your name, your gender, your sexuality, your ethnicity, your age, your religion, or any other factor unrelated to your ability to do the job.
What you'll gain:
Atomhawk Canada aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
- Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short/long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
- Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
- Flexible paid time off, plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth & Reconciliation
- Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
- One year gaming subscription
- My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Atomhawk
- 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
- A values driven culture wit direct access to leadership and industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge to share
Atomhawk Canada’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Atomhawk Canadais located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Atomhawk Canada but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Atomhawk Canada is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Atomhawk Canada, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our general application inbox through our Get In Touch
page, or follow Atomhawk on LinkedIn
to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.