Senior Environment Artist
15 days ago
About Playable Worlds
Playable Worlds is a team of talented and creative game industry professionals working together on a sandbox MMO built for the cloud. Led by Raph Koster (Ultima Online; Star Wars Galaxies) Playable Worlds offers a collaborative and diverse work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and an opportunity to create new kinds of gameplay and experiences in online worlds that feel real and engaging.
All positions at Playable Worlds are currently remote.
The Senior Environment Artist helps build worlds for our exciting new MMO game. In this role, you’ll work with the Lead Environment Artist creating structural and environmental worlds, from concept to in-game completion for modeling, textures, and lighting. You will help strategize techniques to guide procedural environment creation and facilitate solutions to multiple environments through experiments to reveal necessary toolsets. Working with the design team and tool teams, the Lead Environment Artist will develop production pipelines for a growing team of artists and help set a visual bar for the game.
Applicants must be able to provide examples of their work and an art test may be required.
The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $120,000 annually, & stock options.
Essential Job Functions
- Create 3D models in line with our game stylization.
- Create detailed textures with Substance Designer, Painter, Photoshop or equivalent level software.
- Assemble scenes and design models for game environments.
- Review and provide feedback on assets provided by outsourcing partners.
- Prototype and create game assets.
- Communicate with the Lead Environment Artist regularly to ensure a balance between performance and visual quality, while keeping artistic styles consistent with planned direction of the game.
- Assist with troubleshooting errors and evaluating performance concerns.
- Experience level: 5+ years of experience in game development creating AAA titles for console or PC. Must have experience with Unreal, Unity, or an equivalent proprietary engine.
- Education level: College degree in Illustration, Fine Art, or similar preferred, but not required.
- Ability to collaborate and help mentor other employees.
- Experience with world design and production software, world building content creation tools and modular techniques common in level design.
- Advanced knowledge of traditional production techniques in addition to working knowledge of large, scalable multiplayer games.
- Highly motivated with good communication skills, positive attitude, and an ability to work with designers and engineers.
- Ability to explore a range of ideas, work towards creative solutions and inspire a team.
- Experience with procedural world generation and terrain building.
- Working knowledge of complex physics-based mesh systems.
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks in a manner that enables timely completion.
Bonus Points for Any of These
- A passion for video games.
- Experience with multiplayer online games.
- Experience with Unity.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Playable Worlds is headquartered in San Marcos, California. All positions are currently remote.