Senior Environment Artist
Austin, TX, United States
19 days ago
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and we opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada, last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As an Advanced Environment Artist at Certain Affinity, you will have the opportunity to make both your right brain and left brain very happy by combining your love of art with exciting pipelines, tools, and modern ways to author highly detailed environments and props.
You’ll have opportunities to set the quality bar for our internal team by creating and visually perfecting an environment by fine-tuning all elements, including skybox, set dressing, materials, and composition.
- Work with Art Director and other artists to build and integrate 3D assets, materials, decorators, and skybox elements into a visually consistent and highly immersive world
- Lead/direct activities and implementation of environment art assets using multiple software tools at your disposal
- Mentor other artists on technique and process
- Personally, create a significant portion of the world including modeling, texturing, terrain, decorators and set dressing these assets in a cohesive way
- Never settle for last year's processes. How do we make things better, faster, and more awesome?
- 6+ years’ experience in the game industry, specifically modeling and texturing environments
- Shipped 2+ titles as an environment artist
- Experience establishing and driving new workflows for content creation
- Solid grasp of performance requirements and constraints of the current-generation console and PC development
- Knowledge of PBR material pipeline
- Excellent understanding of art pipelines and workflow
- Strong foundation knowledge in traditional arts, including but not limited to graphic design or illustration, life drawing, environmental and/or architectural illustration, or similar
- Solid understanding of color theory, and be able to create balanced & appealing color palettes through lighting, texturing and material work
- Demonstrated grasp of scale, proportion lighting, and form
- Solid understanding of the aesthetics of environment, function vs. form relationships and how this can enhance gameplay
- Team player with the drive and initiative to deliver extremely high-quality work within performance and time restrictions
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills to bridge the gap between art, design, and tech
- Ability to work within a style and effectively communicate to the rest of the team
- Must be punctual, diligent, articulate, and organized
- Easily manages time constraints and multiple priorities
- Can initiate visual direction without a specific concept or design
- Expert-level knowledge of Max/Maya or other 3D software packages
- Knowledge of material creation software such as Substance Designer and Substance Painter
- Proficient with Z-Brush or other high-resolution sculpting tools
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Applicable knowledge in Houdini and or other procedural pipelines
- Experience using UE4 and proprietary software and tools
- Being excited to dive into proprietary engines occasionally
- Ability and desire to lead a small team
- Shipped 1+ AAA title in last three years
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.