Senior Designer, Combat - Unannounced Survival Game
12 days ago
Team Name:Unannounced Project
Job Title:Senior Designer, Combat - Unannounced Survival Game
We Want You
A new world and a new journey await you. It is a world different from any other
Blizzard has built.
If you’re a passionate game developer, and, well, a good human being, then we’d love to talk to you. We have a new AAA survival game in the works, set in a new IP for PC/Console. It’s going to be amazing, and we’d love to bring you along for the ride. Together, we’ll build something big, bold, and beautiful.
As a Senior Combat Designer, you will increase focus and quality on the various pillars of combat within our game. You'll be responsible for designing and implementing mechanics in pursuit of intuitiveness, fantasy, and a satisfying feel.
Additionally, you will be designing and refining the systems that generate purpose and satisfaction for combat, aligning with Blizzard’s core value of Gameplay First.
We believe our team is good. Really good. Granted, we’re obviously biased. But we also believe there are lots of developers out there who can make us even better.
You could be one of those people. If you’re looking for a team where inclusion, thoughtfulness, empathy, professionalism, and collaboration are all seen as critically important, we believe our team could be a phenomenal fit for you. Join us and help craft our future!
We need your help with:
- Analyzing, pitching, prototyping, balancing, and developing core combat and moment-to-moment mechanics/systems for an unannounced project.
- Advocating for feel, feedback, and intuitive mechanics for all aspects of moment-to-moment play.
- Developing creative concepts and drive them to completion.
- Leveraging technical experience to implement systems inside a proprietary design tool.
- Collaborating and coordinate with multiple disciplines.
- Remaining current on industry trends including new game genres, new game design methods and techniques, and trending audio-visual excellence.
You’re good at:
- Communicating design vision and aligning vision within the team.
- Posses broad, extensive player experience with FPS and action games, both single-player and online. Have shipped at least 1 AAA title while utilizing these skills.
- Analyzing combat feel
- Understanding player motivations
- Demonstrating your scripting skills.
- Self-critiquing and accepting outside feedback.
- Being self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
Extra awesome points for:
- Deep understanding of systems design, player psychology, and emerging industry trends.
- Experience designing melee weapon systems
- Experience with versatile game development tools such as Unity and Unreal.
- Previous work on combat mechanics.
You’ll need to provide us with:
- Your Resume
- Links to any writing samples or portfolio
- Cover Letter (preferred)
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The potential home studio for this role is Albany, NY or Irvine, CA.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $97,200.00 - $179,900.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.