Senior Department Manager of Engineering - Hearthstone
1 day ago
Job Title:Senior Department Manager of Engineering - Hearthstone
Pull up a chair and join us by the hearth! Blizzard is looking for an experienced engineering leader to join the Hearthstone engineering team. Our team values creativity, collaboration, and a dedication to quality, and we are searching for contributors aligned to our core Blizzard values to add to our team of dedicated game makers. Together we will learn, grow, and ultimately enjoy success by developing epic experiences for our players that push the boundaries of what Hearthstone can be.
As a Senior Department Manager of Engineering, you will partner closely with our Technical Director to ensure our engineering team grows and thrives. Although this position won't have you working hands-on with code, the combination of management and technical experience you bring will empower you to guide and support the most critical element of our success, the people!
This is an exciting and rewarding role where you will be directly able to positively impact a group of outstanding engineers across all sub-disciplines within our group. You’ll get to help guide and grow our team by ensuring everyone has access to opportunities to learn, grow and thrive.
We value diverse voices and varied backgrounds, and we're looking for individuals to help us build fun, compelling, and inclusive gameplay, and experiences for Hearthstone.
Previous experience playing Hearthstone is not a requirement to apply for this role, however it is a plus.
This role is a hybrid work position, with some work required to be on-site and some work-from-home and the home studio is in Irvine, CA.
- You will provide regular, constructive, and specific feedback in a conscientious way.
- You will work to refine processes around Hearthstone engineering for hiring, performance growth and management within the systems put in place by Blizzard.
- You will ensure an inclusive, psychologically safe environment is maintained for all of engineering.
- You will collaborate across Design, Art, Production and QA to build the best experience for our players.
- You have experience with mentoring, supporting, and giving feedback not only to team contributors but also managers.
- You are comfortable leading through ambiguity and change while setting a guiding light for a large team of engineers.
- You enjoy collaborating closely across game development fields, removing roadblocks, and supporting the professional growth of engineers.
- You have a collaborative, transparent and inclusive approach to supporting your engineers and leadership partners.
- You are an excellent communicator, striving for clarity across levels working with senior leadership to guide your team.
- You have experience navigating the complexities around maintaining and growing a well-established codebase while releasing new content to players at a regular cadence.
- You understand the importance of timely and constructive feedback, and work to ensure there is a culture of collaborative growth within your team.
- You approach complex situations with curiosity and compassion, along with your years of experience leading teams of engineers.
- You are comfortable with others making key technology decisions but will also voice concerns as you see them.
- You enjoy helping others navigate their careers and strive to maintain a comfortable environment for everyone to do their best work.
- You have proven professional experience as a manager of managers, preferably with a team of 30 or more engineers.
- You have worked on live service games.
- You gain energy by helping people grow while navigating exciting engineering challenges.
- You've worked with C++, C# or Unity in a professional environment.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all the qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com . General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration, and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $146,000.00 - $270,004.00 Annual. These values reflect the expected base pay range of new hires across all U.S. locations. Ultimately, your specific range and offer will be based on several factors, including relevant experience, performance, and work location. Your Talent Professional can share this role’s range details for your local geography during the hiring process. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.