Senior Data Scientist
8 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Data Scientist, Data Strategy & Operations (DSO)
London – Sony Interactive Entertainment
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Group Corporation.
Senior Data Scientist – Data Strategy and Operations
The Data Strategy and Operations (DSO) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to an increasing need for the business to leverage data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are over 100 staff within the global DSO team, made up of high-quality data science and engineering professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management
Due to team expansion DSO are looking to recruit talented, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and are looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
Data Scientists in the DSO team apply advanced analytical methods and tools to drive value from the data through techniques such as customer segmentation, predictive modelling, forecasting and other algorithms. Our work delivers an in depth understanding of consumer behaviors and supports multi-channel targeting and personalization.
As a senior data scientist in our team, you will enable a wide range of internal stakeholders across our business to better understand our customers and make data-driven decisions to drive customer lifetime value. You will apply a range of data science methods, build a range of data driven products and develop a deep understanding of what makes our business tick.
What you’ll be doing
You will work in a globally distributed agile team, supporting stakeholders throughout the business in areas such as marketing, operations, CRM, product planning and development, R&D and retail.
Have the interest and aptitude to quickly develop a deep understanding of what makes our customers tick through understanding the data. And you will have the inter-personal and technical skills to work across the business to bring that insight to application.
Lead a wide range of analytical project activities: from requirements gathering through data modelling and processing; carrying out segmentation or building predictive models; performing deep insight; presenting findings to stakeholders and building reusable data products through close collaboration with the relevant data engineering teams.
You could have a background in data sciences, consulting, computer science, customer insight or elsewhere, but you will be passionate about turning large volumes of data into actionable insight and have the blend of commercial and technical skills required to do so.
You will work with Product Managers in DSO to gather requirements from stakeholders, prepare and present findings to other technical and non-technical teams. You will help drive data literacy across a range of internal teams.
You will work with an outstanding team of data scientists to deliver analytical work, understand customer behaviours, and drive innovation in the use of data throughout PlayStation. You will mentor and support the development of junior data scientists in the team.
Primarily based in London, but a global role supporting colleagues in Europe, the US and Japan. Some global travel may be required, usually to Sony offices in California or Tokyo.
- Exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Strong data management and coding skills. You must be able to write production quality code in both SQL and Python, including common data science libraries such as scikit-learn
- An academic background that includes the fundamentals of data science. You will probably have a Masters’ degree or PhD in a relevant technical or mathematical field
- Experience applying data science techniques in a commercial environment, including supervised and unsupervised machine learning, time-series forecasting and other statistical analyses
- Strong written & verbal communication skills; including the ability to present detailed analyses to a broad audience range
- Ability to work collaboratively with other business units to achieve common objectives
- Organized self-starter, with drive and commitment; able to work with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships
- Experience working with data science tooling on major cloud computing platforms
- Experience of visual analytical tools such as Tableau
- Experience of working as a data scientist within an agile team
- Experience of relevant industries (e.g. gaming, digital commerce, subscription services)
- Interest in gaming
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.