Senior Data Scientist, Trust & Safety - Child Safety
2 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
About the Role:
Why Data Science & Analytics?
The Data Science & Analytics organization's mission is to increase our speed, frequency, and acumen of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling, and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and developers
Why Trust & Safety - Child Safety?
As a Senior Data Scientist in the Trust & Safety organization, you will drive one of Roblox's most important initiatives: Child Safety. With our large and growing number of active users on Roblox, safety and civility remains as our #1 priority, and ensuring our community is protected. Child Safety aims to keep all communications within the Roblox platform safe and civil by detecting high risk and challenging problems like bullying, predatory behavior and child endangerment. Additionally, you'll be at the core of helping us operate at a massive scale of processing billions of messages per day across different modalities like text and audio.
- Passionate about data. You use novel techniques and tools to extract value from data. You understand when to apply the appropriate methodology to maximize impact.
- Inquisitive and engaged. You are perpetually curious and strive to improve your skills by learning the latest modeling techniques and data tools. You thrive with freedom and autonomy and are excited from exploring a new problem space.
- A keen and deliberate thinker. You get excited when you encounter a challenging business opportunity with large and meaningful upside potential. You bring your data-driven perspectives to drive business decisions.
- A strong communicator. You understand that analysis must be presented in meaningful ways and lead spirited discussions about the findings. You can explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Accelerate product development through your understanding of the underlying data and your ability to partner with product and technical leaders to provide insights that lead to the safest experiences for Roblox's sizable user base.
- Investigate new ways to discover communication on the Roblox platform that does not conform with our standards of safety and civility.
- Develop modeling solutions to identify new behaviors and signals of malicious user behavior.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to push detection systems toward real-time identification.
- Report to the Senior Data Science Manager on the Trust & Safety team.
- BA/BS and/or Advanced degree in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical fields.
- 4+ years of industry experience OR 2+ years of academic experience in addition to 2+ years of industry experience in Data Science and Analytics.
- 2+ years of experience in statistics and analysis.
- 2+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages such as SQL, Hive or Spark to transform/manipulate very large datasets.
- 2+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R.
- 4+ years of industry experience in analytics focused on improving the experience and safety of communication product.
- 4+ years of experience in a fast-paced environment or fast-growing company, such as the tech sector
- Ability to communicate analytics results, model outputs, and data storytelling to influence product teams and leaders
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
$253,430 — $310,270 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.