Senior Data Scientist, Trust & Safety - Account Integrity
12 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community. Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
WHY DATA SCIENCE & ANALYTICS?
The Data Science & Analytics organization's mission is to increase our speed, frequency and accuracy of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and developers.
WHY TRUST & SAFETY - ACCOUNT INTEGRITY?
With our large and growing number of active users on Roblox, we are an ever more attractive target for malicious actors to both compromise user accounts and proliferate fake accounts for the purposes of spam and phishing. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Data Science for Trust & Safety, as a Data Scientist on the Account Integrity team, you'll play an important role in helping us curtail the spread of bots and keep user accounts secure. Using a combination of machine learning and engineering, you'll develop new techniques and signals to help automatically identify repeated bad actors across a set of accounts as quickly as possible and identify common patterns to proactively prevent future abuse.
- Highly self-driven. You are perpetually curious and consistently strive to improve your skills by learning the latest modeling techniques and data tools. You thrive with freedom and autonomy and are excited by the ambiguity that comes from exploring a new problem space.
- A strong communicator. You understand that analysis must be presented in meaningful ways and engage in spirited discussions about the findings. You have the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- Motivated by impact. You find great satisfaction in being able to point to direct contributions you've made to an organization. You recognize the inherent tradeoffs between further research/experimentation and productionization apply the appropriate methodology to maximize impact.
- An expert transforming data with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R. You're experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data in distributed systems using frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop or Flink.
- Experienced in developing models to draw insights from data and automate decisions. You are capable of using machine learning and statistical techniques to model a variety of different types of data from time-series and sequential data to unstructured data like text and images. You are comfortable throughout different phases of data product development and can take a project from ideation to deployment.
- Accelerate product development through your understanding of the underlying data and your ability to partner with product and technical leaders to provide insights that lead to the safest experiences for Roblox's sizable user base.
- Investigate new ways to discover automated behavior on the Roblox platform.
- Develop modeling solutions to identify new attacks and signals of malicious user behavior.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to push detection systems toward real-time identification.
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- 4+ years of industry experience OR 2+ years of academic experience in addition to 2+ years of industry experience
- 2+ years of experience in statistical modeling and machine learning
- 2+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages such as SQL, Hive or Spark to transform/manipulate very large datasets
- 2+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- 2+ years of industry experience in analytics focused on improving detection of automated users and repeat account signup at a company with large-scale data
- 2+ years of experience in a fast-growing company or industry, such as the tech sector
- Prior experience leading or building project areas from scratch as an individual contributor
- Demonstrated impact in reducing platform harm from bot activity.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass