Senior Concept Artist (Environment)
8 days ago
Bonfire is seeking a creative Senior Environment Concept Artist who will bring vision and inspiration to our new original IP. Our future artists are team members who are excited about creating immersive environments and have a good understanding of architecture from many eras as well as organic environments. In this role you will strive for excellence and bring solid ideas and solutions that help shape the land, skies, and stars that inhabit our universe.
Bonfire Studios is a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment where every developer’s voice shapes the company, the game, and the tasks we work on each day. As a concept artist on a small, focused team, you will have the opportunity to help shape our new IP and create amazing experiences for our players.
About the role…
- You will create and create a variety of concept art for environments and props, ranging from loose thumbnail sketches to polished key art. You will create engaging and alluring environment concepts that immerse players into our world while providing guidance and inspiration to the 3D artists executing the idea in a game engine.
- You will create visual guidelines to help enhance the development of environments, such as mood boards, lighting keys, color scripts, screenshot paint-overs, BlueSky ideation, line art, callout sheets, storyboarding and graphic design.
- You will collaborate within multi-disciplinary teams focused on developing the world of our game, from narrative concepts to execution in-game. Your ideas and input are welcomed and valued; our team members inspire each other.
- You will collaborate with other developers on creating solutions for visually complex features that draw players deeper into a world.
- You will research and generate artifacts to demonstrate ideas, such as mood boards or iterative paint overs, that inspire new possible themes and/or improvements in-game.
- Your ultimate impact on the studio will be unbounded; we lean on each other's passions and embrace one another's unique perspectives on game development to help us all grow as a team together. You will have many opportunities to contribute to areas of the game and the company outside your core focus.
We’re excited about you because you…
- Believe, as we do, that great games are the product of great teams that put their people first.
- Have significant experience in the games and/or film industry, designing characters, costumes, and creatures.
- Possess the ability to collaborate and receive feedback from Art Directors and Game Directors on architecture, interiors, exteriors, and props.
- Are a designer and skilled draftsperson with an understanding of fundamentals like composition, perspective, proportion, scale, value, and color theory.
- Have a strong sense of material surfaces and the ability to communicate that visually.
- Understand that art has gameplay relevance and implications, and enjoy solving visual problems within the constraints of a game’s design.
- Proactively seek feedback to iterate for improvement and enhance your visual designs.
- Have significant professional experience using Photoshop, and potentially have experience with 3D software as well.
- Are ideally passionate about games and the possibility of artistic design that exists within game development.
- Value working with a diverse team and welcoming different perspectives.
- Have a growth mindset and also care about helping others develop.
You’ll love working at Bonfire because we…
- Have strong values that include transparency, ownership, and trust. We are a people-first studio that also strives for a high bar of excellence in our creations.
- Celebrate craft expertise because we are a small, tight-knit group of highly experienced game developers who are as passionate about our team as we are our game.
- Offer opportunities to learn and contribute beyond your focused discipline in areas of interest or passion.
- Practice candor and feedback, leveling ourselves and each other up in the process.
- Play games and have fun together, kindling our own love for games and learning about each other.
The base salary range for this position is $148,600 - $236,133. The range doesn't tell the whole story - we are always open to candidates at different stages in their careers and consider candidates' potential impact holistically, not just their years of experience or skill level. There is also more to our total comp package than salary, we offer equity to every new hire as well as a comprehensive benefits package and more. We will be happy to share more about our compensation opportunities when we chat with you!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.