Senior Concept Artist [Avatar Project]
Malmö Skåne County se
16 days ago
As part of the Avatar Project, you’ll play an instrumental role in bringing to life the beautiful and dangerous world of Pandora. This is a unique opportunity to keep growing your experience in games while working hand-in-hand with Disney’s creative minds and James Cameron’s production company, Lightstorm Entertainment.
Whilst staying within the lore of the game you're encouraged to bring your own creativity and eye for detail to expand Pandora. You’ll help to develop our ambitious art team, guide the production of outsourced art, and take concepts from initial briefs through to launch, collaborating with other Concept Artists, an Art Director, 3D-Artist, and multidisciplinary game developers.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö, Sweden, and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager / cover letter in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job-ad is posted.
- Leading the development of high-quality art for our AAA game(s), from concept to completion
- Researching and proposing concept references together with the Art Director
- Preparing creative concepts for internal and external production teams
- Ensuring a productive workflow with artists and external partners, through briefs, daily communication and by providing clear feedback to ensure that deliverables are completed at quality, and to specification
- Understanding and evangelizing the visual style of the game
- Organizing and updating work and backlog using project management / planning tools (e.g. JIRA)
- Working together with producers, leads, directors and other teams to push the quality and creativity on the project
You as a person
As an artist, you've a passion for films and game concept art, with an observational and research-oriented style. Your ability to see both the big-picture and deliver high quality, detailed art concepts will set you up for success in this role. You're ready to bring your ideas to the table, pushing creativity and innovation, since you know what works in the final game. It's also your passion and understanding of the Avatar IP that makes you great at communicating feedback and getting your ideas across.
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- A relevant portfolio of your work (must include Concept Art and ideally, examples with a fluid/organic nature - remembering Pandora, "It's kinda the Garden of Eden with teeth and claws" James Cameron)
- 4+ years experience with concept art, character concepts, and game production/dev. cycle
- Experience leading art on projects, preferably in agile project management
- Ability to create concepts of characters, props and environments to AAA standard
- Tools - working knowledge with Adobe Photoshop (photo-bashing) and familiarity with game engines (e.g. Unity & Unreal).
- Understanding of composition and lighting
- Ideally, you also have experience taking/guiding your Concept Art from scratch through to realization, and a finished 3D-asset. Whether by yourself or working together with a 3D-Artist.
Good to know
We aim to build a team that continuously pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in game development, and because we love to learn and grow from the people around us, we might ask you to complete a practical test as a part of the recruitment process.
We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you.Meanwhile, pleasecheck out the videos posted below and our employee perks here, to gain greater insight into life at Massive.
Longing to be part of a fun, creative and passionate workplace? We can offer you this and more in an open and friendly environment where you will work with some of the best craftsmen in the industry. Are you up for it? Come aboard for the ride!
Massive Entertainment is a premier producer of games and interactive entertainment for the global market. The studio is located in Malmö, Sweden and fully owned by Ubisoft Entertainment, the world’s third largest independent video game publisher. We are more than 650 people from 45+ different countries working together to produce major titles such as World in Conflict, Far Cry 3, Tom Clancy’s The Division and our latest Avatar Project.
We value diversity at Massive and promote a family-friendly culture and a gender-balanced work environment, where equal opportunities play a meaningful role in the day-to-day operations of our studio.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery.
At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create experiences and brands people will fall in love with.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.