Senior Combat Designer
16 days ago
The person in this role will create the game's systems, controls, interfaces, and interactive elements according to the creative/game director's vision and combat modes/mechanics used in the game.
- Understand the intentions of the creative/game director for the player to design systems, game modes, and combat mechanics that are aligned with the vision of intended PVP / Co-op gameplay for the game.
- Define the skills that the player must possess and their efficiency in overcoming the various challenges around core combat mechanics and improve mechanics to allow players to showcase these skills.
- Adjust the game systems so that the player can establish strategies without any of them being more dominant than another or made redundant while ensuring cohesiveness between game systems.
- Design weapons and other player tools achievable through player progression that synergises well with core combat mechanics and provides player motivation.
- Design enemy behaviour (AI) that tests player skills developed and improve existing AI.
- Formalize and document the systems to communicate them to the programming and design teams.
- Describe the basic game situations (skills vs challenges) to collaborate with the AI, Level Design team in establishing levels of difficulty.
- Work in collaboration with the AI and level design team to create the typical game situations that will be used in the levels
- Work on control ergonomics and menu functionality principles
- Update the team’s design documents
- Verify that the developed systems are coherent with the work of the key specialities within the team.
- Carry out all of the adjustments to facilitate game and system control and understanding.
- Carry out all other related tasks.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in video game industry, in a position of Senior Game Designer or equivalent, with good knowledge of video games
- Experience designing systems for combat modes in an online game is a must
- Experience designing weapons and other player tools in an online game is a must
- Experience designing AI behaviour in an online game is a must
- Relevant experience working on AAA titles, current and next-gen consoles
- Client focus (internal and external)
- Ability to accept critique, ability to listen
- Excellent sense for fun and engagement in combat
- Excellent communicator (spoken and written) and good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team
JOIN THE SQUAD
We are working to enrich players’ lives through unique and memorable gaming experiences and by improving the positive impacts of our games. To get there, we are creating a safer, more inclusive work environment, we are giving back to the communities where Ubisoft operates by working with local non-profit partners and by working to reduce the environmental impact of our business. We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Come on board and experience #LifeAtUbi for yourself, we are always on the lookout for talents who thrive in bringing their A-game to work. If this sounds like you, shoot us your resume, portfolio, and anything else to show that you’re serious about fun!
Ubisoft’s 21,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Since opening its doors in 2008, Ubisoft Singapore has become the biggest AAA game development studio in Southeast Asia. The 500-strong studio is home to 35+ different nationalities focused on delivering ambitious gaming experiences to our players. Ubisoft Singapore has been contributing to all the Assassin’s Creed® titles since Assassin’s Creed® II. It innovated within the franchise as the studio behind the naval battle gameplay and water technology in Assassin’s Creed® III, Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag® and most recently in Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla. Its expertise in AAA and live operations, combined with a passion for naval gameplay, pushed the team to lead the development of Skull and Bones™ revealed at E3 in 2017.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.