We are Turtle Rock Studios. An award-winning game developer of AAA first person shooters and other games, including the latest co-op shooter franchise, Back 4 Blood . We are located in the heart of Orange County, CA and have team members working remotely throughout North America. We thrive in an open and collaborative environment which is led to this day by co-founders Chris Ashton and Phil Robb.
We are looking for a skilled Combat Designer to join our team and help make exciting, cutting edge games. As a Senior Combat Designer with Turtle Rock Studios, you will be responsible for designing and implementing intuitive mechanics that enhance the players experience and replayability. Ideally, you are someone experienced with enemy design, AI behaviors, combat/weapons, class design, skills, and boss encounters. You will collaborate closely with the Design Director, other disciplines, and will work alongside other game designers to help create an innovative and engaging AAA combat experience for our players.
- Work closely with the Design Director and team to develop combat systems ensuring fun and gratifying player experiences.
- Create unforgettable moments by collaborating with Art, Animation, Programming, VFX, and Audio team members.
- Design and develop combat gameplay, including enemy AI and boss designs from concept to completion.
- Work directly with our weapon team to perfect the player's weapon experience. Shooting Zombies should be fun!
- Work with the world team to ensure mission layouts and gameplay synergizes with the player combat loop.
- Curate and maintain game documentation for features owned.
- Balance combat difficulty progression, embracing regular play-testing as a key part of the process.
- Be open to feedback and participate in open discussions regarding game mechanics and balance.
- 5+ years of experience in game development with one or more shipped titles on multiple platforms
- Love of games: specifically FPS, Co-op, and Multiplayer games
- Extensive experience building combat systems for player weaponry and enemies
- Experience designing AI archetypes that cover a dynamic range of intensity and complexity
- A strong interest in creating an awesome player experience
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
- Experience with UE4 and Blueprint
- High quality production sensibilities (cost of features)
- Knowledge of game design theory, tools pipelines
- Familiarity with development tools such as Perforce, JIRA, and Confluence
- Shipped at least one AAA title from inception to finish