Senior Combat Designer
17 days ago
Welcome to Timbre!
We are Timbre Games (part of the Sumo Digital Group), a new studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on making exciting, innovative game experiences. Timbre’s vision is to change the games industry through the original games we make, as well as how we make them. We’re building an inclusive, supportive culture that allows us to explore fresh, new (and sometimes weird) ideas. We’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team of diverse voices, coming together to develop games that are accessible to a wide audience.
If you’re thinking about your next adventure, send us your resume to talk to our team about how you can add your voice to the games we’re working on.
Design at Timbre Games
A great Timbre Designer strives to be curious, humble, authentic and adaptable. Great ideas come from everywhere, and we have the exciting opportunity to harness the power of collaboration to create something truly special.
At Timbre, designers are here to build a cohesive vision using inclusive practices and help create clarity for our team around what the game experience aspires to be.
We are the voice of our players and the heart of the game. Constantly learning as we go, we use our skills and lean on those around us to shape quality experiences that capture our audience's imagination.
Together, alongside the rest of our talented team, we create confidence in Timbre's vision of building diverse, meaningful AAA games using the latest software technologies.
Combat Design at Timbre Games
Are you ready to embark on an exciting journey where your passion for Combat and AI intersect on a family-friendly, accessible ARPG game? Timbre Games are looking for a Senior Combat Designer to join our Design team as a steward for combat on our first major title. You’ll listen to player and team feedback to iterate, tune and build some of our most thrilling encounters that tie deep into the overall player experience.
As a Senior Combat Designer, you’ll impact our team by driving conversations and execution on AI and enemy types, shaping the combat identity within our game. You will collaborate closely with our Engineering, Design and Art team to implement core combat mechanics in Unreal Engine 5. Your magic lies at building player-first, interactive combat that captures the minds and emotions of our audience and enhancing the player experience.
As a Senior Combat Designer at Timbre, you will:
- Drive the design vision and the execution in AI, enemies and bosses to final in a cross-discipline player experience driven team
- Work closely with our Lead Core Gameplay Designer and Game Director to make meaningful player outcomes by listening to feedback, iterating on modular systems and building core combat features that align with the game vision and values
- Be an expert in combat design, crafting some of our most engaging, challenging core combat features, with a design focus on accessibility and inclusion over complexity
- Be a Product Steward for Combat in a highly collaborative cross-discipline team, stewarding enemy, boss and AI combat throughout the studio on our first major family-friendly game!
- Stay current with industry trends and advancements in game combat technology, and proactively integrate innovative techniques into our projects
What you bring:
- Previous experience driving conversations on specific combat design features on a gameplay heavy game, with a preference of owning AI and enemy systems on PC/Console
- A strong understanding of visual scripting, ideally with Blueprint in Unreal Engine
- Creator of Clarity: You have an ability to convey the nuances that AI enemy encounters pose to the team, acting as a peer and mentor to other Combat Designers. Previous collaboration with publishers is hugely beneficial!
- Visionary Explorer: You explore uncharted territories in Combat Design by experimenting with the latest UE5 and Blueprint has to offer to co-drive the AI and enemy encounter vision. You have a deep familiarity and interest in gameplay heavy titles such as Hades, Diablo or Minecraft Dungeons, and foster the strengths of these games in your designs
- Diversity Champion: You create Combat mechanics that resonate to players from diverse backgrounds and are accessible to our audience. You partner with your teams with an open-mind, allowing you to drive a creative process that celebrates inclusiveness
- Pursuer of Fun: You ensure that combat effects are precisely timed and immersive, with each encounter leaving the player feeling the fun of your combative wonder creations!
What you'll gain:
Timbre aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
• Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short / long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
• Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
• Flexible paid time off, plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
• Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada, utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
• 1 year gaming subscription and weekly gaming days
• My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Timbre
• 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
• A values driven culture with direct access to leadership
Timbre’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre Games is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Timbre Games but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Timbre, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our General Application inbox on our careers page
, or, follow Timbre on LinkedIn
to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.