Senior Combat Designer
28 days ago
Free Range Games grows games the old fashioned way: we don’t put our team in cages, we work distributedly, and we don’t use toxic work/life trade-offs. Some of our crafters have worked together from PS1 to PS5 and will tell you about carving games one triangle at a time from punch cards.
We are some of the folk behind Spider-man, Tony Hawk, Lord of the Rings, Twitch Sings, Oddworld, Callisto Protocol, Shrek Super Slam, and dozens of mobile and web games. We believe every member of the team has a voice in what the game should be.
We prioritize community, family, and love-of-gaming over process, crunching, and TPS reports. And maybe that’s what you want too.
As a Senior Combat Designer, you will be responsible for creating intense and exhilarating combat experiences in our upcoming open world, 3rd person action game. It will be your job to envision, design, prototype and refine enemies that feel memorable and challenging. You will work closely with all parts of the development team to ensure that the combat in our game is both visually stunning and responsive, providing players with a visceral and engaging experience.
- Design, prototype, and implement combat mechanics that align with the game's vision and narrative.
- Work closely with the animation team to create and iterate on fluid and impactful combat animations that convey the weight and intensity of each action.
- Balance player abilities and enemy AI to create dynamic and exciting combat scenarios.
- Iterate on combat systems based on player feedback and playtesting results.
- Shipped at least one 3rd person action video game.
- Strong understanding of animation principles and the ability to work closely with animators to achieve a visceral melee combat feel.
- Familiarity with AI design and enemy behavior systems.
- Experience working with scripting and blueprinting.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing project requirements.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Proficiency in Unreal Engine 5 is a plus.
- Experience with open-world game design and non-linear level design.
- Knowledge of industry-standard software such as Maya, 3ds Max, or Blender.
- An understanding of what makes combat engaging and memorable.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Free Range Games is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Free Range Games makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Free Range Games participates in E-Verify.