Senior Combat Designer
1 day ago
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and proactive Senior Combat Designer to join our busy HEXWORKS studio and support driving our games forward as we experience exponential growth.
A career at CI Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
- Develop our approach to combat by building upon and refining the project core systems.
- Pitch, prototype, implement, balance and ship a wide variety of enemy archetypes and/or bosses.
- Implement character combat behaviours using Unreal features such as behaviour trees, animation graphs and blueprints.
- Tune the combat experience at the micro level: animation lengths, I-frames, Hit boxes, etc.
- Work with other departments (Character Art, Animation, VFX, Audio, etc.) to ship characters with state-of-the-art levels of polish.
- Collaborate and structure enemy behaviour in conjunction with overarching RPG mechanics and game progression (weapon levelling, game stats, character builds…)
- Create clear and concise, visually oriented design material explaining mechanic, features and systems.
- Provide Gameplay programmers with comprehensive technical requirements and collaborate to achieve the desired feature implementation.
- Coordinate with Leads and Producers to ensure development within available resource and project timeframe allocation.
- Solve problems, iterate via rapid prototyping, provide multiple solutions while always keeping in mind the player experience and perspective as the end goal.
- Build basic combat level setups to communicate design intents to other departments (LD, Art, Production) facilitating testing and collaboration to meet goals and deadlines.
- Ensure constant follow up and support on topics related to your tasks with the different departments involved during development.
- Address bugs and gameplay issues to assure a stable and polished product.
- Help to assess the project progress and quality by using results from usability, focus and in house playtests.
- Provide constructive feedback and propose solutions to improve the quality of the current project or a feedback that might be applicable to future projects.
- 3+ years of game design experience.
- Preferably have shipped at least 1 AAA title.
- Excellent knowledge of gameplay mechanics and game features.
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine and experience with the creation of Blueprints or demonstrable ability to quickly learn new engines and game technologies.
- A great knowledge of games and an excellent understanding of what makes them work.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organisational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Open and creative mind
What we offer:
- Attractive remuneration, holidays and social events. Our environments thrive with collaborative teamwork with people from all around the world, different nationalities, and languages.
- A supportive community inclusive of LGBTQ+, and any age, ethnicity, religion, or disability. We care about the wellbeing of our employees and have a dedicated employee wellbeing programme.
- Flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays.
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Free games and merchandise
- Wrap parties for game releases
- Remote/Homeworking with flexible working schedules, a fun environment, and a relaxing culture, including the opportunity to work with the leading technology and creative minds in the world.
- Learn as you work and be part of something real that changes the face of gaming - forever
We are an equal opportunities employer with a commitment to building a diverse workforce, representative of the world we live and game in!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Accessibility is at the heart of our games and we reflect that in how we operate as a business. Should you require adjustments or flexible arrangements to interview, or take up a role at with us, please let us know in your application and we will accommodate to the best of our ability.