This job might no longer be available.
Senior Combat Designer
17 days ago
The Molasses Flood is looking for a Combat Designer to help drive the vision and implementation of the combat experience in our action game. You will take on everything from the high-level – pitching enemy and weapon types – to the sub-second nitty-gritty – placing I-Frames and damage volumes, tweaking damage-scales, etc. You will work across disciplines, from art and animation to engineering and production, to make our game’s combat fun, satisfying and scalable from the early game to the late.
This is a full-time salaried position, reporting to the Lead Systems Designer. This job could be performed either working a hybrid model out of our office in the greater Boston area, or remote within the contiguous US states. Relocation assistance is available for moving to Boston area. All staff works on a schedule aligned to US eastern time.
- Develop and refine our approach to combat and foundational combat systems.
- Pitch, prototype, implement, balance and ship a wide variety of enemy types, including core enemies and bosses.
- Tune the combat experience at the micro level: animation lengths, i-frames, damage volumes, etc.
- Implement each character type’s combat behavior using techniques such as behavior trees, animation graphs and blueprint.
- Work with character art, animation, VFX and audio to ship characters with state-of-the-art levels of polish.
- Help balance combat-related systems such as player leveling and experience, weapons, and damage.
- Produce documentation to communicate your proposals and designs, and work with production to ensure they can be implemented with the time and resources available.
- Prior experience on a shipping game.
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship.
- The ability to communicate fluently with engineering, art and production.
- Curiosity, kindness, and a positive and professional can-do attitude.
Nice to Haves
- Prior experience shipping a core game as a combat designer
- Any kind of scripting experience, be it visual (such as Blueprint) or text-based (such as Python, Lua, or C#)
- Unreal Engine 4 experience
- 100% company paid medical, dental, and vision plans available - for employees and dependents
- 401K with matching
- Company paid long & short term disability plans, and life insurance
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO and flexible schedule
- Some positions available for Remote work
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges
The expected salary range for this position is $110,000 - $155,000 USD, negotiable. Salary offered will be based upon a number of factors, including but not limited to: skill set, years and quality of experience, and suitability for the role.
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
CA Candidates: TMF abides by all policies set forth in the CCPA/CPRA. For more information, please contact HR or visit the California Privacy Protection Agency website: https://cppa.ca.gov/
The Molasses Flood is the newest member of the CD PROJEKT group, and is located in Boston, MA. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. We’re currently working on an ambitious and exciting new project and are growing our team across all departments. We value every voice on the team, open communication and transparency, and run a studio based on mutual respect and kindness between all members and levels of the team. If this sounds like the type of team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to apply. If you require any specific accommodations as part of our application process, please let us know so we can try to provide for your needs.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.