Senior Combat Designer (Singleplayer Incubation Team)
9 days ago
We are looking for an experienced Senior Combat Designer to help build a brand new Respawn singleplayer adventure. Our ideal candidate is well-versed in the areas of enemy design, AI creation and iteration, combat/weapons, skills/progression and the execution of thrilling combat encounters.
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. This guiding principle is reflected in Respawn’s day-to-day development ethos of trust, autonomy and freedom to experiment in “finding the fun” to make extraordinary and unforgettable experiences for our players. You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio .
This new singleplayer title is a designer’s dream playground with a freedom to innovate made possible by the unique universe it inhabits. Our critically acclaimed, multi-platform games have always established a “fun comes first” sensibility in a design process that allows creativity and new ideas to shine.
What You’ll Do…
- Have a direct hand in shaping a new game from the ground up. The project is in its early stages and you will take ownership of substantial ideas and features from blue-sky conceptualization to shipped game with a focus on AI creation, weapons, abilities, player motion model, combat encounters and progression.
- Use your creative, scripting and technical skills extensively to bring new enemies and combat mechanics to life to create thoughtful combat encounters that reward moment-to-moment strategic decision making, creative improvisation and player behaviors that are a joy to execute.
- Be instrumental in defining and iterating on the core loop of the game. Combat extends beyond the discrete “fight” to include how you approach it, initiate it and how you recover, regroup and grow through progression afterwards.
- Collaborate with other designers and departments to share ideas, iterate for greatness, scope wisely, and deliver polished gameplay that will defy expectations.
- Place an emphasis on playable prototypes rather than extensive design documentation.
- At Respawn we cater to individual strengths and we are always looking for raw talent, regardless of specialization or breadth of expertise. Combat Designers with broader interests in overall mission design, cinematics/narrative and other parts of the game are still strongly encouraged to apply.
- No crunch or overtime. We don't glorify this behavior.
Ideally, you will have...
- 3+ years professional experience as a Combat Designer or similar role.
- A passion for AI, weapons and overall combat systems and demonstrable technical and creative expertise.
- Strong communication skills, ability to self-schedule and drive features with support from design leadership.
- Proficiency in text scripting and programming languages. A Computer Science background is a big plus.
- Ability to polish gameplay, enemies, weapons and other systems to AAA quality.
- A strong sense of timing and taste, as well as cinematic flair.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and iterative design.