Senior Character Technical Artist
5 months ago
Founded in 2012, Cloud Imperium Games creates cutting-edge videogames that defy expectations. We’re currently developing Star Citizen, a record-breaking multiplayer online space sim, and Squadron 42, a cinematic single-player adventure set in the same universe. Join us as we break boundaries and make videogame history.
With studios in LA, Austin, Manchester (Wilmslow), Frankfurt and Derby our colleagues work in a relaxed, innovative, and future thinking environment. We host various sports and social groups, such as tabletop games, wargaming, yoga, football and tennis, to name a few. We are a crowdfunded company and have a dedicated and enthusiastic community of backers who are helping us create the “Best Damn Space Sim Ever”.
For more information about life at Cloud Imperium Games, check this out - Cloud Imperium Games: Spotlight - Los Angeles, CA
Senior Character Technical Artists are responsible for the correct technical implementation of art specifically involving characters. They should be able to solve any technical issues related to art production.
In close cooperation with the Art Production, R&D Groups and Tech Animation they work on improving the existing pipelines and developing new tools for the Art Production Groups as well as fulfilling specific roles within the character creation pipeline.
What does our Character Technical Artist do?
- Work with the Art Groups and Programmers to effectively produce technically correct art content
- Escalate and suggest strategies for solving difficult issues in fulfillment of initiates and objectives dictated by department director.
- Trusted to complete and communicate thoroughly on the state of objectives and initiatives.
- Receive tasks and self-manage priorities and taskings to complete delivery for a given time frame.
- Work within an existing pipeline and use Maya tools to skin characters and/or props
- Use Python to create tools and enhance existing tools
- Flag and solve potential delays or problems to stay on budget and on schedule
- Collaborate with Character 3D Art, Hard-Surface 3D Art, Animation, Design and Engineering.
- Communicate with members of all teams to make sure tools and skins work correctly; bridging the gap between engineering and art
- Check assets in terms of the technical setup for their usage in Star Citizen and Squadron 42
- Contribute and maintain the CIG Maya Python tools codebase
- Troubleshooting asset-related technical issues (Maya, Photoshop, etc.)
Writing technical documentation
- Making recommendations on how to improve both product quality and group productivity
- Providing guidance and assistance to the Art Groups where required
- Coordinating with the other Studios within CIG to achieve project objectives
What do we expect from our Technical Artist?
- Strong knowledge of 3DS Max/Maya and Photoshop
- Experience in scripting and programming languages
- Experience in creating art assets for PC games using 3DS Max/CryEngine/Maya
- At least three years of relevant experience in the game development industry
- Self-driven, responsible, and detail-oriented person
- Passion for computer games
- Ability to adapt to new technologies
- Strong passion for making the best damn space sim ever
- Team player
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
CIG Diversity Statement: CIG is a global company, staunchly committed to cultivating a culture and workplace that celebrates all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. Together, we are creating a space where authentic recognition, appreciation, and understanding of the importance of diversity is fostered by everyone. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strive to build a team that represents all walks of life, and we want every employee to bring all the things that make them unique to the work environment. The universe is as vast and varied as the people in it, and it’s our differences that make it special.
We are aware of people receiving job offers that fraudulently allege to be from CIG. These types of fraud can be carried out through false websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal info like bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc. through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment.
If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at info[@]cloudimperiumgames.com with any information you may have.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.