Senior Character Artist
1 month ago
Senior 3D Character Artist - New Star Wars™ IP
NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group (ASG) is a BAFTA-nominated team developing an exciting new Star Wars™ game, running live operations on Dawn of Titans and developing a third unannounced game, all from our London studio.
We are a tight-knit team, with a sociable culture and a strong team identity whilst being able to experience all the benefits that come from being part of NaturalMotion and Zynga. The team crafts world-leading, mid-core games on a foundation of trust and camaraderie.
In 2018 & 2019 and 2020 NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
NaturalMotion seeks a Senior Character Artist to become a key member of our Art team to build and maintain AAA, premium quality, authentic characters from the Star Wars™ brand.
In this role you will work alongside the Art, Design and Code teams to push the visual fidelity of the characters and help bring them to life!
You apply experienced art judgment on anatomy, form, colour, style and composition. You are able to produce premium quality character assets for the game with excellent UV layouts and textures. You prep character meshes for animation and build and refine highly efficient geometry flow to support excellent deformation. You have an experienced level of understanding of high to low polygon workflow.
You have confirmed experience in a sculpting package such as ZBrush or Mudbox. You have the ability to sculpt the face likeness of a known actor or actress that is instantly recognizable.
You model sophisticated hard surface shapes, including weapons, with care paying attention to the smallest detail.
You have strong skills in surfacing tools such as Substance and Quixel, some knowledge of cloth simulation and an eye for the presentation of fabrics, metals, skin and hair in a game engine.
You deftly deliver character content in game and review and polish assets, maps and surfaces. Effectively debug and solve sophisticated, interconnected problems.
You are ambitious, intelligent, and intellectually curious. You are trusting and trusted, flexible and emotionally mature, and you thrive on working with people who share these values. You will confidently and respectfully challenge the status quo in order to improve the quality of the game’s character art visuals.
You provide calm, confident ideas and suggestions within your field of expertise and will identify potential issues before they become problems.
Requirements for the job:
- Excellent understanding of shape, structure and silhouette regarding modelling
- Expert attention to detail in all aspects of 3D Modelling, UV Mapping, textures, shaders and LOD’s
- Expert knowledge of handling both organic and hard-surface shapes
- Solid understanding of form and anatomy
- Excellent knowledge of character pipelines
- A proven understanding of optimization techniques to meet the specification
- Ensure textures display accurately across all required mobile-device resolutions
- A love of character design, art and culture
- An excellent portfolio which validates that you have a good knowledge of realistic character creation including sculpting a person's likeness.
- Highly experienced in PBR and current gen texturing workflows to build physically accurate materials.
- Excellent skills in ZBrush, Maya or Max, Substance Painter and Designer, Photoshop
- Participate in art reviews and respond to critical feedback in a professional manner and contribute feedback to your peers
- Experience working as a character artist on several titles
- Being Self-Organised and willing to participate in team meetings
Skills and Experience that are a bonus:
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience using Marvellous Designer
- Working with Quixel Megascans
- A passion for Star Wars
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga and exercise classes
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud of our broad community; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds. Join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
NaturalMotion is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need an accommodation during the interview process, please let us know.