Senior Character Artist
10 days ago
About Sumo Leamington
Established in 2019, Sumo Leamington is led by a team of industry veterans with a wealth of experience in the games industry.
With three core specialisms: service-based games, free to play titles and mobile, the team at Sumo Leamington are focussed on creating games which players keep coming back to – day after day, year after year.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team at Sumo Leamington is growing, and we’re looking for the industry’s brightest stars to help bring a series of incredible projects to life.
The studio vision statement is quite simply "We make you look forward to tomorrow", we have a vision to make games which players will keep coming back to - day after day, year after year. We also believe that by putting people and purpose first, our studio culture is one that drives performance, boasts enthusiasm, and is something that the team are proud to say they are part of. If you are looking for somewhere that is a little bit special and unique come and join us.
The role @ Sumo Leamington
As a Senior Character Artist at Sumo Leamington, you will create game-ready Characters in a broad range of styles across multiple platforms from PC and console to mobile. You would work closely with Art leads and stakeholders to deliver the creative vision ensuring Characters match the art style and follow technical guidelines. T his is a fantastic opportunity to join a talented, friendly and highly creative team.
This role is offered as fully remote, although on-site visits to our Leamington Spa office are possible for candidates who live within a commutable distance.
Within this role you will:
- Take direction from the Art Leadership team to deliver high-quality characters using Zbrush, Painter and other industry-standard 3D software.
- Work alongside the Character Art team, mentoring more junior artists and helping them develop their craft.
- Set up and test your completed characters and refine them in the game engine (Unity).
- Provide feedback into the creative process bringing your own insight and ideas.
- Collaborate with Concept Artists and make suggestions on how designs can be amended before starting production.
- Take an active role in documenting workflows that are developed for the project.
- Assist in the planning of work with the Lead Artist and Art Producer.
To be successful you will have:
- Experience working through one or more full game development cycles, ideally from concept to shipping and creation of DLC materials once shipped.
- Solid knowledge of Character Art production pipelines.
- Excellent understanding of silhouette, colour, detail and how to balance these.
- Familiarity working with adjacent disciplines such as tech animation, concept art, animation and game design.
- Comfortable working in a range of styles, particularly more stylized work.
- Up to date with modern processes in character art pipelines and interest in innovations within this area.
- Experience working with game engines: Unity is a plus.
On application, please include your current CV and any relevant portfolio content.
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus & Annual Salary Reviews
· Electric Car Scheme
· Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday a duvet day and Christmas
· Holiday ‘buy and sell’ scheme
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses, The Gnomen Workshop, GDC Vault and more
· Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
· Free Life Assurance - 4x Salary
· Free Income Protection Scheme -up to 75%
· Free Dental Insurance
· Supportive Employee Assistance Programme with confidential 24/7/365 helpline & app
· Access remote GP, Mental Health, Physio appointments & medical second opinions
· Additional flexible benefits scheme
· Cycle to Work Scheme
· Mental Health First Aiders
· Payroll Giving Scheme
· Game & Book Libraries
· Long service & project completion awards
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Great family events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Leamington:
Sumo Leamington is situated just outside of the town centre and was recently awarded the Games Industry BIZ Best Diversity Award – a testament to its ongoing commitment to creating a home for everyone. The Studio features many onsite facilities – everything needed for the team to create the world’s best games!
Ranked the happiest town to live in two official polls, Leamington Spa is a hidden gem nestled amongst the stunning countryside of Warwickshire and remains a hotspot for talented individuals and creative minds within the games industry. Those living in Leamington Spa can enjoy:
o Local attractions such as Jepson Gardens and the Royal Pump Rooms
o A rich and diverse culture
o An expansive history and stunning architecture
o Picturesque scenery, outstanding gardens and walking routes
o Beautiful museums and galleries
More about Sumo Digital:
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.