This job might no longer be available.
Senior Character Artist
25 days ago
Welcome to Striking Distance Studios!
Driven by people. Inspired by challenges. Relentless to deliver creative excellence.
At the intersection of art, design and technology lies Striking Distance Studios. Led by Dead Space and Call of Duty franchise veteran Glen Schofield, we are a AAA development studio within the San Ramon Hills of the San Francisco Bay Area. With the release of our first title, The Callisto Protocol, we are excited to continue to grow our team.
Here at Striking Distance Studios it is amazing people, an immersive experience and a passion for excellence that drives us each day. We are looking for people who push themselves creatively and learn with every new challenge. We give you the setting and the opportunity to do work you are proud of. We’re looking for the best to come join us and become part of a world-class team.
To us excellence is not a skill, but an attitude!
- Create realistic 3D characters and creatures from concepts using the latest industry tools, from start to finish. Your key responsibilities will include sculpting high-resolution assets, authoring materials and textures, optimizing UVs, ensuring clean mesh topology, and achieving the best possible results in-engine.
- Work closely with Concept, Design & Directors to create visually appealing 3D characters that work well within the context of the game world.
- Collaborate with other departments such as Tech-Art, Animation, and Design to understand gameplay requirements, technological issues, and how they relate to Character Art workflows, implementation, visuals, and performance in-engine.
- Communicate regularly with Leads, Art Director, and Character Artists. Participate in stand-ups and provide critical feedback to propel the team forward.
- Optimize and deliver clean assets with the correct organization.
- Communicate with Production and Leads to ensure all deadlines are met.
- 5+ years of professional game development experience with at least one shipped title.
- A portfolio showcasing the ability to create high-quality, 3D characters while demonstrating a high level of artistic creativity.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and documentation skills.
- Experience with cross-departmental collaboration.
- Expert knowledge of DCC applications for character art: Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer.
- Experience working inside Unreal Engine.
- Experience with version control software.
- A strong sense of anatomy, aesthetics, and appeal.
- Experience working with hair grooms and hair cards for production is a plus.
- Passion for making and playing great games with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
In California, the expected salary range for this position is $145,000-$180,000. The listed expected salary range represents a good faith estimate and the actual pay may depend on a variety of job-related factors that can include experience, education, skills, and location.
Due to recent scams, our recruiters will only reach out to you via @sds.com, @krafton.com or @pubg.com. If you received an email and are unsure you can always email email@example.com .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.