Senior Character Artist – Sledgehammer Games
13 days ago
Job Title:Senior Character Artist – Sledgehammer Games
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia – we’re the videogame development team behind Call of Duty ® : Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty ® : Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty ® : WWII . Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we’re focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
As a Senior Character Artist you will work as a key member of the character art team to create high quality and detailed character designs. These assets are based on game requirements, technical capabilities of the gaming platform and product scope. Individual must have a basic understanding of anatomy and proportions as it translates to 3D modeling, and mesh deformation. Takes initiative to learn and adapt to new team practices based on evolving technologies. Can work in a multidiscipline work atmosphere, alongside other Character Artists and with the Lead Character Artist while under time constraints.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Art Director and Concept Artists to develop look and feel of assets.
- Create awesome characters that are efficient, built to scale and satisfy budgetary requirements.
- Manage a number of assets and prioritize tasks.
- Maintain and share extensive knowledge pertaining to military gear, uniforms and equipment.
- Work with Technical Art Director to understand budgetary requirements and ensure that the characters created fulfills these requirements.
- Receive feedback and modify work based on direction.
- Provide feedback to improve the tools.
- Follow schedules and meet deadlines.
- Understand mesh topology and edge loops as it translates to efficient modeling practices for in-game characters, and is experienced building highly detailed characters.
- Understanding of 3d scan as a foundation for organic or hard surface model workflows.
- Good understanding of UV coordinate space, texturing, and memory budgets.
- Thorough working knowledge of Maya, Zbrush, and Substance Painter.
- Understands the principles and practices of physically based workflows and texturing.
- Promote a positive work environment through high personal and performance standards.
- Prior Experience/Previous Positions related to current position:
- 4-6+ Years of directly related experience in gaming.
- Performed similar role on at least 1 published game title.
- High level of proficiency using Maya to create detailed characters to scale and accuracy.
- Proven ability to create detailed Zbrush or Mudbox models.
- Candidate must have experience using Substance Painter, and Photoshop to create hyper realistic textures for next gen materials.
- Experienced in 3D character concepts and development process.
- Experience is working from Scan data.
- Candidate must be proactive and work well in a large team environment and have excellent communication skills.
- Candidate must have experience creating efficient and clean models with proper UV layout inside Autodesk Maya
- Radiant experience a plus.
- Properly estimate time to complete work, manages competing priorities and builds in buffers.
- Verify art asset performance and appearance in the game engine.
- An understanding of weighting and animation principles
- Able to rapid prototype and help conceptualize character designs
- Experience with scan data.
- Experience with Marvelous Designer
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.