Senior C++ Game Tools Engineer
7 days ago
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
The Senior C++ Game Tools Engineer will be responsible for helping shape and drive tooling integration with the RuneScape game engine and supporting a wider push to modernize game tooling across our pipeline.
How you can contribute:
- Programming in C++ 11/14
- Help us improve the tech behind the record-breaking MMO RuneScape and OldSchool Runescape
- Working with the graphic/rendering systems that are core to our titles
- Enhancing and maintaining our existing game engine tooling and pipeline
- Researching and developing new tooling technology
- Proactively developing solutions to improve both how we work and how our games operate
What we need:-
- Proficient in C++
- Experience (or willing) to write Java and/or C#
- Experience with either OpenGL (preferred) or DirectX
- Ability to work respectfully with others. Good communication skills are essential!
- Not be afraid of writing documentation
- Worked on at least one launched title and/or one AAA title
- A passion for solving problems, a thirst for knowledge, regardless of stack
- Experience with both graphical and non-graphical game engine systems
- Designed and fully implemented at least one major system in a commercial game engine
- Relevant qualification (Degree level or equivalent experience)
What we'd love:-
- Experience of working on networked and MMO games
- Experience with client-side animation systems and entity/component based systems
- Experience of developing games tooling that supports multiple platforms
- Experience with cmake/make and bash
- Experience with Java
- Experience of working on client/server applications
Main Duties and Responsibilities:-
- Programming using C++, Java and other languages as required to service assigned and scheduled tasks to service our 3 primary group disciplines (Tools, Platform and Client)
- Generation of tasks to design, document and implement software to meet provided goals
- Liaise regularly with the tools lead to plan and execute group roadmaps
- Apply modern software development practices and patterns in pursuit of functionality, long-term stability and flexibility
- Develop and maintain awareness of the differing group technologies, priorities and limitations
- Take ownership of game engine integration and looking for opportunities for improvements and sharing that knowledge with the team
- Assess new technologies and adapt to and promote them where applicable
- Perform maintenance tasks to keep internal tools in good working order for our internal customers
- Providing realistic time estimates for assigned tasks to stakeholders, with tasks broken down appropriately
- Suggesting and championing projects or processes that drive the department tech and team forward, anticipating and identifying problem areas and developing preventative solutions
- Gain awareness of business needs and priorities outside of the group’s core focus and take these into account when planning development tasks.
- Contribute to overall project strategy. Be willing to put forward ideas, and to positively critique those put forward by others
- Build strong working relationships with team members and with other groups across the organisation, especially the RuneScape content and Publishing Platform groups
- Adhere to, and maintain, high software development standards
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.