Senior Backend Engineer
Portland, Oregon, United States
8 days ago
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
What you'll do:
- Work on a distributed system throughout its life-cycle - research, design, development, testing, CI / CD
- Responsible for the scalability, availability and performance of production systems for a fast growing user base
- Add exciting new features to our world-class platform enabling competitions, tournaments and social features for players, spectators and streamers around the world
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building great products as much as you do
- Experience in one or more backend languages such as Java, Golang, C++, or C#
- Experience with cloud-based datastore technologies such as RDS, Redis, DynamoDB, and ElasticSearch including design and optimization
- Experience building cloud-native RESTful web services, Springboot is a plus
- Experience with AWS or other cloud provider is a huge plus
- Familiarity with DB ORM (Jooq or Hibernate) and caching frameworks (Caffeine or Guava) is a nice to have
- Ability to troubleshoot, debug, and solve the complex problems that distributed, scalable systems introduce
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.