Senior Backend Engineer
15 days ago
Who we are
At Fortis Games we aspire to make great games that bring people together while redefining how game companies work. We believe in building a sense of belonging through our games, their communities, and how we operate and treat each other. Through our game communities, we will create powerful connections and lasting memories. We will foster a culture of diversity, equity and belonging where together our diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds impact the games we make.
We are an early but mighty organization with a leadership team of game industry veterans. There are many opportunities for you to have a big impact on the products we'll be making as well as the overall direction of the company. If you're passionate about tackling difficult problems with direct and thoughtful communication and team first mentality, we may be the right place for you.
About the role
As a Senior Software Engineer at Fortis, you’ll help us develop and operate the server software at the heart of our soon-to-be-announced online game. In this role, you will work closely with game designers, artists, and other engineers to design, implement, and deploy the large-scale, highly-available services at the heart of our product.
What you'll achieve
- Work with a cross-discipline team to plan out and implement APIs in support of new game features
- Work with game-client software engineers to develop client-side SDKs in support of server-dependent game features
- Instrument, profile, and analyze server code to identify and fix complex bugs and performance issues
- Produce technical design documentation to explain and educate stakeholders and fellow engineers about software design decisions and principles
- Triage and fix high-impact issues that arise working in a live environment
What you'll need to be successful
- Prior experience developing scalable and highly-available server software for a customer-facing production environment
- Extensive familiarity with non-relational database systems, particularly MongoDB and Redis
- General familiarity with developing for containers and designing for a microservices architecture
- General familiarity with deploying software to the public cloud (i.e. AWS)
- The ability to quickly isolate and debug complex issues within code
- Must be proactive, self-directed, organized, and willing and able to learn more
- Confidence in your work and care for the quality of what you produce
- Mindfulness of how design decisions impact performance and user experience
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Why join us
There are many reasons to join us, but here are a few:
- We strongly believe we are changing how games studios operate and at the core of what we do is making great games that create a connected community
- We're not just about making Games Where You Belong. We're also about building communities where our people belong. That's why Fortis is a thriving environment that celebrates diversity, embraces inclusivity, and fosters growth.
- Build and grow with a seasoned team of accomplished talent who have left an impactful mark in their disciplines, both in and out of gaming
Fortis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.