Senior Applied Scientist, Defence
3 days ago
Improbable Defence, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the war fighter.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
... is to build scientific models that support our entire product offering and facilitate next generation decision support. We are a friendly, relaxed & inclusive team with an ambition to take agent-based modelling to the next level.
We model social systems as goal-oriented actors operating on imperfect information, “digitally twin” physical environments and infrastructure, and obsess with modularity to recast complex systems as combinations of simpler systems.
Areas for Impact
- You will work broadly; conceptualising a system and writing a design document, converting that into a prototype model (we are language agnostic, and have worked in Python, Kotlin, Julia and R) and help educate others on your approach.
- Using your leadership and mentoring skills you will support other applied scientists in this endeavour.
- Your role will combine literature reviews, conceptual modelling & prototyping to create scientifically defensible models that underpin our product offering
- Building pipelines to extract and integrate data from various sources, making it available to simulation engines and user interfaces.
- Your work will help military tacticians understand situations and plan more effectively, ultimately helping add to the stability and security of the world.
- Customer focus: spending time with our customers to understand their perspectives and modelling requirements as well as presenting our models to them.
We'd love to hear from you if you identify with any of the following:
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.