Senior Application Security Engineer
8 days ago
Discord is about giving people the power to create space to find belonging in their lives. Trusted by millions of people to keep their communications secure, private, and out of the hands of evildoers, security and privacy are necessary to Discord's success.
We're looking for Application Security Engineers reporting to the Head Of Security to join us in protecting Discord's users. If you are an engineer with a passion for security and privacy, a deep sense of curiosity, and an endless desire to improve Discord for our users, read on!
What you'll do
- Develop technical solutions to find and address security issues (including libraries and frameworks).
- Build tools with an emphasis on self-service, automation, and performance, to help identify and mitigate application security flaws.
- Perform reviews ranging from architectural design to threat modeling and source code level assessments, providing recommendations to make our products more secure.
- Review development frameworks for security functionality, consistency, and uplift opportunities.
- Conduct application security assessments across all Discord services both user-facing and internal.
- Discover weaknesses in Discord by using both manual and automated methods (code reviews, threat models, static scans, penetration tests).
Who you are
- You have 5+ years experience securing production applications.
- You have 3+ years of experience with application security tooling and processes, including code review, static code analysis, penetration testing, and risk management.
- You have experience implementing and using static and dynamic security tools.
- You have experience programming in at least one general purpose programming language (e.g. Python, Rust, Go).
- You have experience operating in cloud-based environments (we use Google Cloud, but experience with other platforms is ok too).
- You are comfortable reasoning about the security of complex systems, even if they contain components you aren't familiar with.
- Experience with container orchestration systems (e.g. Kubernetes).
- Experience programming in at least one systems programming language (e.g. C, C++).
- Familiarity with common application vulnerabilities on the platforms Discord ships on (that's all of them).
- Experience with Linux system administration (we use Ubuntu).
- Experience developing, operating, and debugging distributed systems.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.