Senior Animator - Maxis Studio
14 days ago
Location: Redwood City, CA (Open to remote work for most US locations)
At Maxis we are all about outrageous thinking. It is the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We are great storytellers. It is not just about amazing your peers – it is about amazing yourself. Taking risks. Work with great minds. Dare to dream big. Together we change the way millions play every day.
As a Senior Animator, you will define, create, and iterate animation content based on the project needs through prototyping, aesthetic exploration and tool research (Maya, Unreal, and other tools/tech). You will support the foundational building and testing of the animation pipeline, while working closely with the Animation Director, Tech Animation Director and Motion Engineers. This is a highly collaborative position that involves innovative thinking, technical research, and unconventional animation challenges . You will report to the Development Director.
- Content creation
- Create, iterate, and drive animation content to support prototype goals, using Maya and Engine, that span the product needs
- Flexibly adapt and refine the project’s unique animation aesthetic while creating content that will serve as a benchmark to the animation style guide.
- Creatively approach content creation in innovative ways.
- You will need to estimate animation tasks appropriately and meet milestone deliverables.
- You will provide more junior animators feedback in aesthetics and implementation techniques to achieve higher level goals set by the Animation Director.
- Supporting Tech
- Test various versions of new rigs
- You will be a key stakeholder in evaluating and testing new tools, workflows and pipeline systems in Maya, Unreal, and other tools for future development.
- You will support Tech Animation and Tech Art across multiple prototypes, while targeting and advocating for the Animation vision.
- You will support peers in collaboration, feedback, and implementation to aid in a unified team deliverable
- Documentation / Communication
- Document R&D efforts relating to individual and more junior animators’ tasks.
- Establish and maintain clear communication across all discipline peers and management in regards to individual and team deliverables.
- Proactively provide constructive feedback to technical team members and relay necessary information to stakeholders.
- Concisely communicate and present work to members of the team at various levels.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Ability to create and drive high quality ingame biped and quadruped animation content on a project.
- Experience owning features/leading systems from start to finish while driving animation implementation.
- Experience working in, designing, and hooking up state machine workflows .
- Experience troubleshooting animation issues in Maya and in Engine.
- Ability to collaborate and problem solve across various discipline peers (artistic and technical).
- Ability to test rigs, new animation workflows, and communicate feedback effectively.
- Knowledge in mo-cap is a plus.
- Knowledge in Unreal Engine is a plus.
- Ability to be organized and highly effective in documenting research, and presenting to peers and animators.
- Thrives in a pre-production environment with a research and development mentality.