Senior AI Programmer
24 days ago
The Senior AI Programmer role will report to the Lead AI Programmer. Senior AI Programmers are responsible for designing and implementing large scale AI systems with minimal guidance and providing technical support and mentoring to more junior members of staff.
They are also expected to be proactive in dealing with other disciplines to resolve problems quickly and elicit clear requirements and translate them into flexible reusable solutions. As well as solving challenging new technical problems, a senior AI programmer will have a good understanding of best-practice and standard techniques across a range of AI gameplay systems and will keep up to date on innovations within the industry.
- Deliver high quality AI gameplay systems using appropriate levels of abstraction
- Choose appropriate AI solutions to balance the performance and behaviour requirements of the game
- Identify and debug technical problems quickly and efficiently
- Priorities, plan and manage the time of assigned tasks with minimal oversight
- Help define the technical direction and develop innovative solutions for difficult AI problems
- Help mentor junior members of the AI programming team, and communicate clearly with other team members and teams with minimal external help
- Support other teams with the use of AI systems developed by the team
- Use appropriate data structures and algorithms to maximize efficiency (for both development time and runtime performance)
- Be vigilant for and report new problems, delays and risks to the appropriate lead/director
- Request support from higher levels when required
- Excellent awareness of AI specific paradigms and algorithms including performance and trade-offs of different approaches
- Able to tune AI systems based on high level design input with minimal assistance
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable working across teams and mentoring staff.
- Extensive algorithm and data structure skills (including time and space complexity and real world vs theoretical performance)
- Able to understand and utilize multi-threading primitives
- Able to understand and utilize high level networking concepts
- Capable of reading and quickly understanding complex code
- Self-motivated and driven to creatively solve problems.
- Able to plan the work to build an entire sub-system including external dependencies with minimal input
- Videogame programming experience on AI gameplay systems, including having shipped at least one AAA PC/console title.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, high growth, start-up company environment
- Ability to work full-time based in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Bachelor’s degree with a Computer Science/Software Engineering focus or similar experience
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Our Global Benefits & Perks
- Unlimited coaching & therapy — with Oliva, to support your mental health
- Annual Learning Allowance — to spend on your development
- Stock Options — everyone owns a piece of our success
- Compassionate Leave — regardless of who it is, whether you’ve miscarried, or a lost a pet, you don’t need to tell us why
- Birthday Present — gift voucher or a charity donation
- Birthday Day off — to celebrate your birthday away from work each year
- Caregiver Leave — up to 5 days each year to support your loved ones
- New baby gift — money toward a meal delivery or cleaning service
- Remote Working Budget – for remote workers to get out of the house
- Pension scheme — to finance those golden years
- Socials —office & remote events, play sessions and company-wide parties
- And even more benefits based on your location!
If you’re based in the UK
- 29 Annual Leave + 3 bank holidays - we’re flexible with most bank holidays so you can use the time to celebrate what’s important to you
- Long Service Days - 2 extra days added on your 2nd & 4th anniversaries with us.
- Private Medical Insurance - full cover with AXA
- Healthcare Cash Plan - Level 3 cover with Medicash
- Enhanced Family Leave - Primary caregivers; 13 weeks full pay, 13 weeks half pay, Secondary caregivers; 2 weeks full pay
- Cycle2Work Scheme - lease a bike through us and save on tax too!
- Electric Car Charging - electric car charging at our Port office in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Please note: Our benefits are reviewed annually and subject to change.
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and can consider WFH candidates for specific roles.