9 days ago
Age of Learning is a leading education technology innovator based in Glendale, California, with a talented team of more than 600 individuals comprised of nationally-renowned educators, curriculum experts, developers, artists, writers, designers, engineers, producers, product managers, analysts and marketing experts! Together we develop engaging, effective digital learning technology and content to help children build a strong academic foundation for lifelong success.
Our flagship product ABCmouse.com
Early Learning Academy ® is a comprehensive online curriculum and the #1 digital learning product for young children. To-date, more than 30 million children worldwide have completed over 8 billion Learning Activities on ABCmouse. We recently launched Adventure Academy, the first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game designed specifically to help elementary- and middle-school-aged children learn. It features thousands of engaging Learning Activities—including minigames, books, original animated and live action series, and more—in a fun and safe virtual world. Other Age of Learning programs include immersive English language learning products for children in China and Japan; ReadingIQ, a digital library and literacy platform; and a groundbreaking personalized, adaptive digital learning system that individualizes math instruction for every child through AI-driven technology.
We are committed to helping all children succeed. We provide our educational programs at no cost to teachers, Head Start programs, public libraries, and other community organizations, and have served millions of children through these initiatives. We recently established the Age of Learning Foundation to expand this work globally.
As we expand our global reach and increase the educational impact of our programs, we’re looking for passionate, ambitious, and collaborative leaders to become a part of our growing team.
Our Adventure Academy product team is seeking a talented Scrum Master to oversee the development of educational games and features that change how children learn.
We believe Scrum Masters and Agile practitioners at Age of Learning embrace lifetime learning and are not pure agilists, i.e., each Scrum Master is expected to understand/learn the reasoning behind all practices that they promote and know how they move their team toward Agile values and principles. This position will be responsible for managing the process from concept through delivery of the product. This position also requires situational coaching skills.
- Facilitate the Scrum process, including coaching/mentoring the teams and facilitating all Scrum ceremonies
- Partner with curriculum, design, engineering, quality assurance, and production teams to help them ensure curriculum objectives are met throughout the development process
- Problem solve as needed to help teams make dependencies visible to ensure on-time delivery
- Show consistent improvement in coaching skills and provide coaching for junior SMs and teams
- Help identify solutions to issues raised during retrospectives or throughout the software development process
- Spearhead process optimizations based on team performance metrics and other relevant data
- Learn the product and contribute to product improvement
- Proactively identify project risks and conflicts and work with the team and management to resolve
- Assist Product Owner/Producer with high-level release planning based on historical data (average velocity, how many stories points are required to ship a large feature, etc.)
- Proactively bring team and leadership coaching opportunities to Agile coaches’ and Sr. SMs’ attention
- Help coaching internal leadership team
- Foster a team environment and troubleshoot to solve conflicts and maintain team effectiveness
- 5+ years experience working in an Agile environment of which at least 4 years were in a Scrum Master/Agile Delivery Manager role (or equivalent educational background in Computer Science, Engineering, Management Information Systems, etc.)
- Certified Scrum Master and proficient in Kanban
- Demonstrated ability to construct Scrum Teams and maintain the values and principles in the framework on an ongoing basis
- Understanding and actively updating skills and knowledge around Agile concepts/frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, XP, SAFe, etc)
- Intermediate knowledge of several Agile tools Jira, Rally, leankit, etc. to an extent to provide guidance to the team and ask the right questions from the Operations team.
- Understanding of SDLC end-to-end
- Ability and willingness to mentor and “level up” team members
- Knowledge of and ability to facilitate Release Planning sessions
- Knowledge of and ability to facilitate Backlog refinement
- Proven ability to lead and drive teams to conceptualize, develop and implement concepts using various tools and technologies
- Understanding and experience in design thinking and user-centric design
- Broad knowledge and experience in the development of casual, mobile, and classic game genres
- Excellent communication, creative, analytical, and organizational skills
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams
- High passion for developing educational software and games
- Experience developing educational games or games for kids
- Development experience or a technical background
- Understanding of data analytics and data-driven design
- Systems thinker with the ability to articulate strategies
- ACSP/CSP or any equivalent certificate is a plus
Age of Learning currently provides:
• 90% - 100% of health and welfare benefit premiums
• A 401(k) program with employer match
• 15 paid vacation days plus 11 observed national paid holidays
• Team bonding events and a highly collaborative environment
• Commitment to Equal Opportunity Employment in addition to an inclusive and supportive company culture
• Access to our internal DEI Task Force that focuses on ensuring our products represent all children on a global scale
• Opportunities for professional growth through professional learning and development programs
• A temporary 100% remote work environment, due to COVID restrictions, to help ensure the safety of our employees
• Monthly internet stipend provided due to temporary remote work environment
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.