Revenue Accounting Manager
7 days ago
Age of Learning is a leading education technology innovator based in Glendale, California, with a talented team of more than 600 individuals comprised of nationally-renowned educators, curriculum experts, developers, artists, writers, designers, engineers, producers, product managers, analysts and marketing experts! Together we develop engaging, effective digital learning technology and content to help children build a strong academic foundation for lifelong success.
Our flagship product ABCmouse.com
Early Learning Academy ® is a comprehensive online curriculum and the #1 digital learning product for young children. To-date, more than 30 million children worldwide have completed over 8 billion Learning Activities on ABCmouse. We recently launched Adventure Academy, the first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game designed specifically to help elementary- and middle-school-aged children learn. It features thousands of engaging Learning Activities—including minigames, books, original animated and live action series, and more—in a fun and safe virtual world. Other Age of Learning programs include immersive English language learning products for children in China and Japan; ReadingIQ, a digital library and literacy platform; and a groundbreaking personalized, adaptive digital learning system that individualizes math instruction for every child through AI-driven technology.
We are committed to helping all children succeed. We provide our educational programs at no cost to teachers, Head Start programs, public libraries, and other community organizations, and have served millions of children through these initiatives. We recently established the Age of Learning Foundation to expand this work globally.
As we expand our global reach and increase the educational impact of our programs, we’re looking for passionate, ambitious, and collaborative leaders to become a part of our growing team.
The Revenue Accounting Manager will be leading the end-to-end revenue operational process. This role will oversee the customer order processing, billing, accounts receivable, and collection processes with a focus on process improvements, automation, efficiencies, and data integrity throughout the company as they relate to revenue and collections. In addition to partnering with various Finance & Accounting members, this role will interface frequently with external customers and various internal teams including Data Analytics, IT, Sales, Product, Operations, etc.
The candidate must have a strong understanding of US GAAP and applicable revenue guidance (ASC 606) as well as a strong understanding of controls.
- Process & Controls:
- Drive process improvements and effective use of accounting system throughout the company as it relates to revenue and related processes
- Develop and maintain revenue accounting and order to cash policy and procedure documents including working with external auditors
- Evaluate new sales offerings to determine and document the proper accounting treatment and ensure the revenue system/schedules is configured appropriately
- Manage data integrity between sales, order, and financial systems driving accurate reporting, billings, and revenue recognition
- Maintain a robust internal control environment over the entire Order to Cash process
- Accounting & Reporting:
- Ensure revenue transactions are properly accounted for in accordance with US GAAP, including the audit of transactional and summary reports and research, and be able to explain and document variance explanations
- Calculate, record, and reconcile deferred & earned revenues and related balances
- Track and ensure appropriate accounting of customer refunds and chargebacks
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations and journal entries, and identify, investigate, and problem-solve GL account discrepancies
- Manage the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the daily, weekly, and month-end billing processes, including producing monthly billing metrics
- Additional Responsibilities:
- Support the monthly, quarterly, and year-end accounting close processes and preparation of financial statements in accordance with US GAAP
- Prepare GAAP revenue budget and forecast
- Assist with internal reviews and external audit
- Partner with the sales team to resolve customer issues and collaborate on business process improvements
- Support the Finance & Accounting team with various accounting projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in customer service billing, preferably within a SaaS environment
- Strong analytic capability and propensity for continuous improvement
- Bring best practice ideas to the team
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and partner within all levels of the organization
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP would be a plus
Age of Learning currently provides:
• 90% - 100% of health and welfare benefit premiums
• A 401(k) program with employer match
• 15 paid vacation days plus 11 observed national paid holidays
• Team bonding events and a highly collaborative environment
• Commitment to Equal Opportunity Employment in addition to an inclusive and supportive company culture
• Access to our internal DEI Task Force that focuses on ensuring our products represent all children on a global scale
• Opportunities for professional growth through professional learning and development programs
• A temporary 100% remote work environment, due to COVID restrictions, to help ensure the safety of our employees
• Monthly internet stipend provided due to temporary remote work environment